Resolving host names lasts too long and nslookup no response from server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.

I have my personal computer connected physically to my home router.

when I run nslookup this is what it displays:

C:\Users\bertucho>nslookup www.google.com
    Servidor:  UnKnown
    Address:  2001:4860:4860::8888

*** UnKnown no encuentra www.google.com: No response from server

My internet is ok, but it lasts too long to resolve host names. For example, when I ping www.google.com, it lasts 2 seconds to resolve the ip and then send packages, but if I ping the ip directly, it sends the packages right away and lasts nothing.

It's the same when I am in any browser, it lasts too long to resolve the domain name the first time I enter a webpage.

This started to happen one week ago, before that, it all was fine, it was fast as usual.

I have tried disabling the wireless network of my router in case I were victim of a Man In The Middle attack, I have tested many DNS domain, included automatic DNS configuration and now I'm using google DNS servers.

I can't figure out what does this come from, but it lasts 2 seconds to resolve domain names.

In an ubuntu forum I have read a thread of someone who had the same problem and he discovered a line in /etc/nsswitch.conf like this:

hosts:          files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] wins dns mdns4

his solution was:

"Within that line, "wins" is mentioned. A samba tool for resolving Windows network names. 

I removed that from the file:"

hosts:          files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns mdns4

Is there anything similar in windows that could be happenning? I'm in windows 7.

Monday, December 9, 2013 10:42 PM

Answers

• Find your Ethernet adapter settings properties un-tick the box for internet protocol version 6 (TCP/IPv6). Usually the TCP/IPv6 DNS look-up is extremely slow and is most usually not needed.
    • Proposed as answer by 暁北 Wednesday, December 11, 2013 6:29 AM
    • Marked as answer by 暁北 Wednesday, December 18, 2013 3:41 PM
    Tuesday, December 10, 2013 8:36 PM

All replies