issue with an exe run from a network share trying to find an .exe that is in the appv package - so crashes RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have an app that works as follows:

a) you install some third party runtimes 

b) the app itself runs from a network share - an exe with an ini file in the same folder

You then create a shortcut to the exe in the network share (start in is set to the same folder path)

The .exe (in the network share) then tries to call some exe's that would normally be on the c: drive on the local machine (the ini file has a path to the .exe's - i.e. on the c: drive)

However, when i create an appv package (appv version 5) for this app - and deploy it - I dont think the .exe in the network drive can find the runtime .exe on the c: drive and then fails.

Can anyone help me with this ?

Kind regards

Thursday, December 19, 2019 12:56 AM

Answers

• 1) does your computer account have acces to the network share (so not simply the user, but also the computer)?
    2) Is the shortcut part of your app-v package?
    3) If you start a cmd prompt inside the app-v package, and from there on launch the exe on the network, does it work? Use the following posh cmd to do so: Start-AppvVirtualProcess cmd.exe -AppvClientObject '(Get-AppvClientPackage -Name '*appname*')

If the shortcut is no part of you package, create a new one, and while sequecing create a shortcut like: 
    cmd.exe /c \\fileserver\foldershare\app.exe

Roy Essers

• Marked as answer by goofygdog2 Friday, December 20, 2019 12:46 PM
    Thursday, December 19, 2019 12:27 PM

All replies

• 1) does your computer account have acces to the network share (so not simply the user, but also the computer)?
    2) Is the shortcut part of your app-v package?
    3) If you start a cmd prompt inside the app-v package, and from there on launch the exe on the network, does it work? Use the following posh cmd to do so: Start-AppvVirtualProcess cmd.exe -AppvClientObject '(Get-AppvClientPackage -Name '*appname*')

If the shortcut is no part of you package, create a new one, and while sequecing create a shortcut like: 
    cmd.exe /c \\fileserver\foldershare\app.exe

Roy Essers

• Marked as answer by goofygdog2 Friday, December 20, 2019 12:46 PM
    Thursday, December 19, 2019 12:27 PM
  • We have found another way of moving forward, but thanks for your reply which we have noticed and will try next time.
    Friday, December 20, 2019 12:47 PM