Windows Server 2008 R2 (X64) and Integration Services RRS feed

• Question

• I installed Windows Server 2008 R2 (x64) in a Hyper-V Guest without incident. To my surprise, withtout installing Integration services (IS),  I found that the mouse could easily move between the Guest and Host.   I tried to install "IS" on the server  but was told it was already installed.

So, is "IS" automatically installed as part of this OS?

TIA,

barkingdog

Wednesday, September 9, 2009 5:47 PM

Answers

• Integration Components have been built-in to the OS since the origional release of Server 2008. (the whole - it just works - experience)

So in your case the ICs in the VM are newer than the Hyper-V supporting Integration Services.

The ICs have been improved in R2 to allow them to work while running on a hypervisor (Hyper-V) that possibly has ICs of an older revision.

While they technically work in this case, the experience is not optimum unless the Host and guest match.

Brian Ehlert (hopefully you have found this useful)
    • Marked as answer by Vincent Hu Friday, September 11, 2009 9:17 AM
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 7:18 PM
  • The Host has services (such as the VMBus for example, as well as storage, etc.) these are complemented by drivers (components) within the virtual machine(s).

In v1 these were generally not allowed to operate properly if hte two were out of sync (the revisions don't match).

With R2 this changes, as backwared compatibility is part of the components (for both host and guest).
    But you can think of this as any level of compatibility.  It works, but not as well as it would if it was not running in some sort of compatibility mode.

While, technically, your R2 guest has newer components than your v1 host.  They are compatible, but not equal.

Others in this forum have pointed out networking issues when running is your described configuration.  That is why I bring up the issue.
    The resolution is to update the host to R2 to bring the two complementary components into a state of equality (sorry for the fluffy drifting of language there - but it fits).

• Proposed as answer by Brian Borg Thursday, September 10, 2009 1:32 AM
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 10:15 PM

All replies

• Integration Components have been built-in to the OS since the origional release of Server 2008. (the whole - it just works - experience)

So in your case the ICs in the VM are newer than the Hyper-V supporting Integration Services.

The ICs have been improved in R2 to allow them to work while running on a hypervisor (Hyper-V) that possibly has ICs of an older revision.

While they technically work in this case, the experience is not optimum unless the Host and guest match.

Wednesday, September 9, 2009 7:18 PM
  • Brian,

You wrote

>>>  So in your case the ICs in the VM are newer than the Hyper-V supporting Integration Services.

By "Hyper-V supporting Integration Services" you mean those installed on the HOST? Also,   I am only familiar with ICs being on Guests, nowhere else. Am I incorrect?

You also wrote

>>> While they technically work in this case, the experience is not optimum unless the Host and guest match.

So for the Best experience the Guesta and HOST should have the same verison of IC's?  This seems an unlikely scenario. Our HOST is Win Server 2008 while the new Guest is Win Server 2008 R2. The R2 verison is surely newer.

Barkingdog
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 8:20 PM
  • The Host has services (such as the VMBus for example, as well as storage, etc.) these are complemented by drivers (components) within the virtual machine(s).

In v1 these were generally not allowed to operate properly if hte two were out of sync (the revisions don't match).

With R2 this changes, as backwared compatibility is part of the components (for both host and guest).
    But you can think of this as any level of compatibility.  It works, but not as well as it would if it was not running in some sort of compatibility mode.

While, technically, your R2 guest has newer components than your v1 host.  They are compatible, but not equal.

Others in this forum have pointed out networking issues when running is your described configuration.  That is why I bring up the issue.
    The resolution is to update the host to R2 to bring the two complementary components into a state of equality (sorry for the fluffy drifting of language there - but it fits).

• Proposed as answer by Brian Borg Thursday, September 10, 2009 1:32 AM
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 10:15 PM
  • Actually... that is backwards.

The IC in the Hyper-V is newer / better that the IC in the Guest OS.  I need to get the updated IC for Windows Server 2008R2 so my 2012 Hyper-V system stops saying the component is in a degraded state.

Thursday, September 19, 2013 3:31 AM
  • There is a TechNet post about how the IC (vmbus.sys -- In the guest OS) has to match the IC version in in the registry.  Since I have both 2008R2 and 2012 guest OS' running on the same 2012 Hyper-V Host Server.

Thursday, September 19, 2013 3:36 AM