none
Constant "Replica is inconsistent" errors - ID 112 "Cannot create a file when that file already exists" RRS feed

• Question

• DPM2010, trying to BMR back up a XenApp6 server with Sophos antivirus running on it. I'm getting constant "Replica is inconsistent" errors with the following in the details:

Changes for Volume C:\ on <servername> cannot be applied to \\?\Volume{ef124e7c-a496-11df-8b1e-806e6f6e6963}\ProgramData\Sophos\AutoUpdate\Cache\savxp\. (ID 112 Details: Cannot create a file when that file already exists (0x800700B7))

From Google it appears as if this is a problem with the local Windows backup service that DPM is initiating, but I don't see any way to check on this on the protected server.

Any ideas as to what's really going on?

Monday, August 29, 2011 4:00 PM

All replies

• I'd start by checking the event viewer on the protected computer to see if you are getting any additional VDS or VSS Writer errors.
    Are you able to create a snapshot on the volume manually?

I've seen a situation where A/V software will lock file access to the DPM Agent (A/V usually uses filter drivers to the filesystem for this). You might want to make sure you have antivirus exceptions for DPM as per http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb808691.aspx

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 6:13 AM
  • Did you find a resolution to this? I am experiencing the exact same issue. Inconsistent replicas and the path pointing to the Sophos Auto Update directory just like you're experiencing. What did you find? J
    Thursday, September 8, 2011 4:42 PM
  • same exact problem here. still in search of a solution. anyone got one?
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 4:59 PM
  • Hi,

Make sure the System account has full permissions on C:\System Volume Information and all subfolders and files.

Try running the following command on the protected server:

WBADMIN START SYSTEMSTATEBACKUP -BACKUPTARGET:C:

If this fails, check the Sytem event log and the Microsoft-Windows-Backup event log for errors and/or warnings.

Thanks,

Marc

Tuesday, October 4, 2011 5:27 PM
  • Does DPM take backup for system state and C: or it fails also?

Laith.

Tuesday, October 4, 2011 6:22 PM
  • just the backup of c: fails. the system state and bare metal complete fine - as do other partitions.
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 7:13 PM
  • In the C: backup of the server can you add an exclusion in for the folder \ProgramData\Sophos\AutoUpdate\Cache\savxp\ and see if the backup can complete?

Maybe also run a chkdsk on the volume (obviously need a reboot given it is on C:) and see if that helps.

Tuesday, October 4, 2011 10:48 PM
  • Hi ZackinMA,

Can you check why the C fails?

If it fails because of reading some files then execulde these files and run the backup for the C again.

Take into consideration to create two different PG for both system state and C and run them in two different time and make sure that each one must be finish while the other one will begin.

Hope that helps.

Laith.

Wednesday, October 5, 2011 5:05 AM
  • It ended up being my antivirus's cache folder causing the problem. i excluded it from the backup of the C: for every member of the protection group and I'm off and running.

Now I'm not sure why that particular folder was causing a problem, but excluding it did fix it. It was c:\program data\sophos\autoupdate\cache that I had to exclude.

• Proposed as answer by ZackinMA Thursday, May 24, 2012 1:35 AM
    Monday, October 10, 2011 8:00 PM
  • excluding the sophos cache fixed the issue for me as well.
    Tuesday, November 8, 2011 9:40 PM