Unable to open Outlook. .ost file cannot be opened. RRS feed

• Question

• I see that there are a number of people with this problem, and I have repaired my two exchange email accounts on a daily basis for the past week, and am still having this problem daily.

Are there any other fixes which address the root problem in this error?  I would greatly appreciate not having to repair my email accounts and then restart my computer every time this happens.

Wednesday, March 16, 2016 7:19 PM

Answers

• Thanks for the clarification. 

There is a high possibility that the Outlook profile is corrupted. As suggested in my previous reply, please try with a new Outlook profile and see if issue persists (not just repair the existing one).

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, March 22, 2016 7:52 AM

All replies

• >> I have repaired my two exchange email accounts on a daily basis

I would like to confirm what exactly you mean by this, repairing the Outlook profile?

This might happen due to lots of reasons, for example, damaged Outlook profile, corrupted view settings, etc.

If you mean repairing Outlook profile will fix this issue (at least for that day), then I would suggest you go ahead to try with a new Outlook profile and see if issue persists:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Create-an-Outlook-profile-f544c1ba-3352-4b3b-be0b-8d42a540459d?CorrelationId=c7ab30a8-7b96-4cb5-a45e-ed3975dd5d14&ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, March 17, 2016 7:10 AM
  • I go to the control panel, open the mail settings, then email accounts, and then repair my two exchange accounts. Then I have to restart my computer before I can access Outlook, and not get the .ost message anymore. 
    Thursday, March 17, 2016 6:37 PM
  • Thanks for the clarification. 

There is a high possibility that the Outlook profile is corrupted. As suggested in my previous reply, please try with a new Outlook profile and see if issue persists (not just repair the existing one).

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Tuesday, March 22, 2016 7:52 AM
  • Hi,

If you are getting an error "OST file cannot be opened" then OST file may be corrupted or damaged. To get out of this situation,  user need to convert OST to PST format. It will resolve your issue.

Get your solution in this article: - https://writeapp.me/stevesmith27/note/convert-inaccessible-ost-to-pst-for-outlook

Friday, March 10, 2017 12:09 PM
  • Office provides a Scanost.exe tool to repair the exchange .ost files, but unfortunately you can't access Outlook now.

In this case, you need to use some 3rd-party tools to repair the .ost file first.

I found ost recovery tool to open .ost files, you may also search such tools on the Internet.
    Friday, August 10, 2018 4:40 AM
  • Use your own consciousness to select the best OST to PST Convert, I would like to recommend OST recovery tool which is available with amazing and useful features, it converts single mailbox as well as multiple mailboxes including inbox, outbox, sent-items, deleted-items, drafts, contacts, calendars, notes (to, cc, bcc, subject, date and time).

visit here more info:  http://www.osttopstapp.com/

Monday, September 24, 2018 7:54 AM
  • Hello,

Read this forums: 

https://forum.uipath.com/t/open-ost-file-in-outlook-2016/10578

Thanks

Friday, May 3, 2019 8:31 AM
  • Hello,

Since the question is made a long ago but I would like to recommend and suggest you an effective program that can open Outlook OST file and so you can access each and every files and folders

I have already suggested to few of users on various sources of queries platforms and the program i suggested found helpful. This program is known as OST Recovery tool With this you can perform multiple tasks and fix the issue with OST database files and folders.

With this OST Converter Software it is easier to Read OST file and Migrate to Outlook account and by converting ost file into pst format you can import PST file Outlook client application.

Above mentioned program has effective feature and capabilities to Migrate OST file to Microsoft Exchange Server account and as smoothly Migrate to Microsoft Office 365 account.

Multiple OST profile backup files you can transfer to Office 365, Exchange Server and outlook.com

Read this Article: https://www.experts-exchange.com/articles/29434/Microsoft-OST-to-PST-Converter-Recovery-Software.html

Friday, February 14, 2020 10:20 AM