best practice for BDC deployment RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I am only allowed to deploy the BDC to production server using PowerShell scripts. Now I have already set up Secure Store TargetAppId and I got PS codes for that. The rest thing I need to know is do I have to use VS 2010 to create the BDC model and output a wsp packge, or using PS codes to work on exported BDC Models for deployment? I know it's a big topic, any helpful link or guide will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

allan

• Edited by allan8964 Friday, March 2, 2012 5:56 AM
    Friday, March 2, 2012 5:54 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

you should take the .wsp package and install it on the server using stsadm or PowerShell Adding and Deploying Solutions with PowerShell in SharePoint 2010

This approach will automatically put required dlls to the GAC and install and activate required features(if you are using them).

Dmitry

Lightning Tools LogoLightning Tools Check out our SharePoint tools and web parts

Friday, March 2, 2012 10:40 AM
  • I have a similar scenario.. Need to migrate BDC model created in the development (single-box) environment to QA environment (2 WFE's + 1 Reporting Server, 1 App Server running BCS). Client wants me to do this through the WSP,

I've created a WSP but not sure what should be used as the Site Url while creating the package. Should it be QA Farm Central Admin URL? When I give the central admin url, the package installs on just two WFE's and fails to deploy on the reporting server. SP thinks that farm deployment has failed and as a result, i cannot see the model in my BCS store. Thoughts?

Thursday, July 12, 2012 9:06 AM
  • Hi  RightSideOfWrong,

The bigger challenge with the Business Data Connectivity Model project is that it uses a SiteUrl property in the Feature.xml file to help establish a connection to the target BDC service application. The SiteUrl property is used to identify the BDC service application where the BDC metadata model should be deployed. The SiteUrl property is not present by default in the Business Data Connectivity Model project. When the property is not present, the deployment assumes a value for the property of http://localhost:80. This means that the BDC metadata model will be deployed to the BDC service application associated with the site that is located at http://localhost:80. However, if no site exists at http://localhost:80, the deployment will fail. In this case, you must explicitly set the SiteUrl value to reference a site that is associated with the correct BDC service application. If the SiteUrl property must be explicitly set in the Feature, you must create an environment-specific package to successfully deploy the solution. Take a look at this article Migrating Business Connectivity Services External Content Types in SharePoint 2010

Dmitry

Lightning Tools LogoLightning Tools Check out our SharePoint tools and web parts | Lightning Tools Blog

Friday, July 13, 2012 10:59 AM