none
Error accessing webpage: The Web.Page function requires scripting to be enabled in the Internet Explorer options. RRS feed

• Question

• I'm getting the rather cryptic error posted in the title of this question when attempting to access a webpage with a single html table in Power Query.

I've done some searching but cannot even find reference to the error message, much less a solution.

The error implies that there is a problem with my settings in Internet Explorer, but surely Power Query is not dependent upon my IE install and settings.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Monday, August 4, 2014 8:41 PM

Answers

• As a matter of fact, yes, Power Query is dependent on your IE install and settings. This error indicates that JavaScript has been disabled in IE. The current implementation of Web.Page loads the page into IE and then uses a small JavaScript program to serialize the DOM.
    • Proposed as answer by Curt Hagenlocher Monday, August 4, 2014 10:28 PM
    • Marked as answer by greggyb Tuesday, August 5, 2014 6:30 PM
    Monday, August 4, 2014 10:27 PM

All replies

• As a matter of fact, yes, Power Query is dependent on your IE install and settings. This error indicates that JavaScript has been disabled in IE. The current implementation of Web.Page loads the page into IE and then uses a small JavaScript program to serialize the DOM.
    • Proposed as answer by Curt Hagenlocher Monday, August 4, 2014 10:28 PM
    • Marked as answer by greggyb Tuesday, August 5, 2014 6:30 PM
    Monday, August 4, 2014 10:27 PM
  • Curt,

Thanks for your reply and correcting my mistaken assumption.

Do you know precisely which settings are necessary? I had most of the 'Scripts' options enabled already in IE. Too impatient to troubleshoot individually, I simply enabled everything and it is working now.

Thanks

Tuesday, August 5, 2014 6:30 PM
  • I don't know because we're not actually checking any particular configuration option. We're just trying to run some JavaScript code -- and if the browser returns a null result we infer that JavaScript is disabled. We should probably document exactly what's needed here.
    Wednesday, August 6, 2014 4:06 PM
  • Has there been any more specifics identified?

I get this error when I try to make the web query:

DataSource.Error: The Web.Page function requires Active Scripting to be enabled in Internet Explorer options. See https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=506565 for details on how to enable Active Scripting.

I followed the instructions but everything was already set as instructed.

I'm stumped.

Thursday, December 7, 2017 9:06 PM