none
TPM (Trusted Platform Module) Ownership and clearing problem

Question

• Hi. I decided i wanted to try to clear my TPM. I followed step by step guide from Microsoft:

To clear the TPM
        • Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, and then click Run.

• In the Open box, type tpm.msc, and then press ENTER.

• If the User Account Control dialog box appears, confirm that the action it displays is what you want, and then click Yes.

• Under Actions, click Clear TPM. If the TPM is off, follow the procedure to reinitialize it before clearing it.

• In the Clear the TPM Security Hardware dialog box, select a method for entering your password and clearing the TPM:

• If you have the removable media onto which you saved your TPM owner password, insert it, and click I have a backup file with the TPM owner password. In the Select backup file with the TPM owner password dialog box, use Browse to navigate to the .tpm file saved on your removable media. Click Open, and then click Clear TPM.
          • If you do not have the removable media onto which you saved your password, click I want to type the TPM owner password. In the Type your TPM owner password dialog box, enter your password (including hyphens), and click Clear TPM.
      • If you do not know your TPM owner password, click I don't have the TPM owner password, and follow the instructions provided to clear the TPM without entering the password.

I followed it step by step but when i came to step 5 (After clearing it through pressing F12) I dont get the choice off selecting: I dint have the TPM owner password.

Please help me

Thursday, April 27, 2017 12:03 PM

All replies

• Hi Frustrated Windows 10 user,

Have you enabled the Bitlocker? Is it the first time to use TPM or have you configured password for TPM?

If you have enabled Bitlokcer, please suspend the Bitlocker before we made modifications to TPM.

If it is the first time to use TPM, it should be a normal symptom. We could refer to the following link to initilize the TPM and set a password.
    Initialize the TPM
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753140(v=ws.11).aspx

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 28, 2017 6:12 AM