Problem with disk defragmenter RRS feed

• Question

• I have been having a problem with my Disk Defragmenter. It opens fine but when I click on Analyze or Defragment, it pulls up an error message saying, "Disk Defragmenter could not start". I have run a virus check and a spyware program. I noticed another question similar to this one and I have never heard of Steady State so I don't think that I have ever had that on my computer. I also don't know how to change the registry info using the info that was provided. I am using Windows XP. Hope you can help.
    Friday, August 7, 2009 10:34 PM

Answers

All replies

• I too have had this problem, it just started recently.  I have also lost my Kapersky that will not acknowledge when I double click so that I may check out a few items.  I still can do the disk cleanup before i wish to do the defrag but then the error message comes up but only on my c drive ( main) I also have an e drive and it goes through the analyze and when I ask for the defrag it completes it
    Monday, August 10, 2009 2:19 AM
  • Hi, thanks for the post. In Windows SteadyState, if you enable WDP, it will disable Disk Defragmenter automatically. However, if you have not installed Windows SteadyState, this inquiry would best be posted to Windows XP or Windows Vista forum:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/windowsxpitpro

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/windowsvistaitpro

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us.  Thank you for your understanding.

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Saturday, August 15, 2009 8:28 AM
    Monday, August 10, 2009 6:23 AM
  • I have been having a problem with my Disk Defragmenter. It opens fine but when I click on Analyze or Defragment, it pulls up an error message saying, "Disk Defragmenter could not start". I have run a virus check and a spyware program.
    Sunday, August 16, 2009 4:40 PM