Cannot add RSS-link to Outlook 2016 (version1908) RRS feed

• Question

• Suddenlyy, when adding an RSS-feed to Outlook, I get an error that Outlook cannot process the link.

I have searched al around, repairing Outlook, building a new profile etc, to no avail.

Old feeds with the same syntax works ok, but I cannot add new feeds.

The link looks like this

https://some.server.com/rss.php?se_id=123456

when I open up the page, the link is refering to, it looks perfectly Ok to me.

Starts with 

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
    <rss version="2.0">
    <channel>
    <title>

So, what do I do to get back the functionality?

Monday, February 17, 2020 5:50 PM

All replies

• Hi ,

>> Suddenly, when adding an RSS-feed to Outlook, I get an error that Outlook cannot process the link.
    Have you tried to add other links as feeds to outlook and see if the problem continues?
    What specific operations did you do before this problem occurred?(such as update Outlook version or Windows version)
    In order to better understand your problem, please provide complete error messages or screenshots of your problem if possible.(Notice: Please hide your personal information in the screenshot for security.)

>> Old feeds with the same syntax works ok, but I cannot add new feeds.
    To confirm if the problem is related to your links, you may try to remove the Old feeds if possible and readd them to see if they can be added successfully.

Since I cannot reproduce your problem, I researched a lot and found a few possible workarounds. Please try the following suggestions and see if there is any difference:

1. Please make sure that you have checked the "Synchronize RSS Feeds to the Common Feed List (CFL) in Windows" option via File > Options > Advanced > RSS Feeds > Synchronize RSS...
    2. It is suggested for you to check if you have the following registry key existing:
      HKEY_CURRENT_USER \Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\Options\RSS
      DWORD: Disable
      Value: 1
      If so, please try to change the value of the Disable DWORD to 0 and see if it works.
      (Note: Serious problems can occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Before making changes, back up the registry to restore it in case something goes wrong.)

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Jeff Yang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 18, 2020 8:34 AM
  • Well, I havent done anything, maybe a normal update to Outlook.

I have already tried these two suggestions, with CFL and the registry hack, with no success.

Tuesday, February 18, 2020 4:04 PM
  • Hi ,

Thanks for your reply.

As mentioned before, have you tried to add other links as feeds to outlook and see if the problem continues?
    Can you add this new RSS-link to Outlook client on other machines successfully? 
    If possible, please try to remove the Old feeds and readd them to see if they can be added successfully.
    These can help us confirm if the issue is related to your new links.

Besides, You may also try to export the RSS feed as an OPML file from Internet Explorer and then import it into Outlook and check if it works as expected. To export RSS feeds from Internet Explorer, click on File > Import and Export > Export to a file > Next > select Feeds checkbox > Next >Export > Finish.

Any update, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Jeff Yang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 19, 2020 8:38 AM
  • Hi ,

I'm writing to see if the reply above is helpful to you.

If you have any update about this issue, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Jeff Yang

Friday, February 21, 2020 8:54 AM