none
Is this HP laptop compatible with hyper-V 2012 server?

Question

• Hi,

I want to buy the HP HP 250 G5 (I am on a real tight budget), because I want to run a test lab for esxi and hyper-v 2012.

I read somewhere I can install vmware workstation and then create a nested VM running hyper-v 2012 server.

The CPU in this laptop is an Intel® Core™ i5-6200U Processor that has the following advanced hardware features for virtualization:

Intel® Virtualization Technology (VT-x)
    Intel® Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O (VT-d)
    Intel® VT-x with Extended Page Tables (EPT)

What do you think guys?

Thank you.

Regards

Alfred56

Wednesday, March 8, 2017 9:25 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I want to buy the HP HP 250 G5 (I am on a real tight budget), because I want to run a test lab for esxi and hyper-v 2012.

I read somewhere I can install vmware workstation and then create a nested VM running hyper-v 2012 server.

The CPU in this laptop is an Intel® Core™ i5-6200U Processor that has the following advanced hardware features for virtualization:

What do you think guys?

Thank you.

Regards

Alfred56

Hi,

I think it will work. But official page where supported and tested HW is listed can be found here https://www.windowsservercatalog.com/   

Your processor also need to support SLAT (second level address translation).

Please also note that Nested virtualization is new functionality of Windows server 2016, not 2012

Radek

Wednesday, March 8, 2017 9:50 AM
  • Hi,

What do you think guys?

Thank you.

Regards

Alfred56

Hi,

I think it will work. But official page where supported and tested HW is listed can be found here https://www.windowsservercatalog.com/   

Please also note that Nested virtualization is new functionality of Windows server 2016, not 2012

Radek

Thank you Radek for your reply.

Don't know much about hyper-v 2016 yet, but I will download the free hyper-v 2016 server.

Need to check with HP as well. 

Of course to do a test lab I will require quite a bit of RAM and disk space.

Wednesday, March 8, 2017 10:00 AM
  • Hi,

What do you think guys?

Thank you.

Regards

Alfred56

Hi,

Radek

Don't know much about hyper-v 2016 yet, but I will download the free hyper-v 2016 server.

Need to check with HP as well. 

Of course to do a test lab I will require quite a bit of RAM and disk space.

You can also use Hyper-V in Windows 10 for nested virtualization testing scenarios.

I have i5-6600@3,3GHz with 8 GB RAM + direct attached SSD SATA3 on Win 10 and have sucessfully tested nested virtualization. That is why I think it would work for you the same way.

But to be honest even with SSD disk, nested virtualization is somehow resource demanding. So virtual machine inside virtualized Hyper-V on my Win 10 Hyper-v ( O.O ) was a bit laggy. Maybe because processor does not have enough of L3 Cache ... it is not good processor for virtualization.

Radek

Wednesday, March 8, 2017 10:55 AM
  • just some personal comments on building a mobile lab if you really want to use that

- your laptop should be equipped with good CPU and Memory, I7 and 32GB RAM or above

- don't mix ESXi and Hyper-V as you mentioned, not because it would not work , it is more the case you spend time and gain knowledge for configs you never would use in production

- use SSDs or NVMe Media only

last ones I had before getting real Lab on Servers and doing just VPN to it was a DELL M4700 with mid range I7 , 32GB RAM, 512 + 1TB SSD , worked pretty good

cheers
    Udo

Wednesday, March 8, 2017 11:44 AM
  • last ones I had before getting real Lab on Servers and doing just VPN to it was a DELL M4700 with mid range I7 , 32GB RAM, 512 + 1TB SSD , worked pretty good

cheers
    Udo

Thanks Udo, I will look into this.
    Wednesday, March 8, 2017 12:09 PM
  • You can also use Hyper-V in Windows 10 for nested virtualization testing scenarios.

I have i5-6600@3,3GHz with 8 GB RAM + direct attached SSD SATA3 on Win 10 and have sucessfully tested nested virtualization. That is why I think it would work for you the same way.

But to be honest even with SSD disk, nested virtualization is somehow resource demanding. So virtual machine inside virtualized Hyper-V on my Win 10 Hyper-v ( O.O ) was a bit laggy. Maybe because processor does not have enough of L3 Cache ... it is not good processor for virtualization.

Radek

• Edited by alfred56 Wednesday, March 8, 2017 12:18 PM
    Wednesday, March 8, 2017 12:10 PM
  • Hi Sir,

Is there any update ?

Best Regards,

Elton

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 10, 2017 8:33 AM
  • Hi Sir,

Is there any update ?

Best Regards,

Elton

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Hi 

I rang HP Australia today and even though the ark.intel.com site states that the I5-6200U supports VT-X, VT-D and EPT, this laptop model bios does not provide any configuration of these features, what a disappointment.

Looks like HP, in my opinion, is doing this to push people to buy the more expensive probook or elitebook.

So we have an Intel CPU that supports all the hardware virtualization features that I require, but they cannot be accessed or enabled.

Thank you.

Regards

Alfred56

Friday, March 10, 2017 11:19 AM
  • "So we have an Intel CPU that supports all the hardware virtualization features that I require, but they cannot be accessed or enabled."

Often these settings are on by default.  The HP web site lists the 250 G5 laptop as supporting Windows 10 Pro, which means it supports Hyper-V. I would suggest using Hyper-V on Windows 10 - it is basically the same Hyper-V.  It can't be a cluster node like Windows Server can, but you can create clusters of VMs if you want to learn the basics of clustering.  I agree with the others that you should get as much memory on the machine as possible.  Remember that each VM is going to require its own memory plus the host requires memory.  If you have only 8GB of RAM on the laptop, you will not be able to run very many VMs.

. : | : . : | : . tim

Friday, March 10, 2017 2:10 PM
  • Hi Alfred56,

Agree with Tim .

In addition please try run systeminfo command to check hypervisor requirements:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/virtualization/hyper-v-on-windows/reference/hyper-v-requirements

Best Regards,

Elton

Monday, March 13, 2017 8:38 AM
  • Hi Alfred56,

Agree with Tim .

In addition please try run systeminfo command to check hypervisor requirements:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/virtualization/hyper-v-on-windows/reference/hyper-v-requirements

Best Regards,

Elton

Unfortunately I have not bought this unit yet to test it, because I want make sure it has those features first.

In Australia it is very hard to find a computer store with these units on display, so that I can go into BIOS to check.

Anyway systeminfo would not work, because this unit is preloaded with windows 7 pro and system info does not provide the hyperv related info.

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 12:15 AM
  • Hi Sir,

I'd like to tell the truth that I bought a laptop witch has i3 530 (Gen1 Core CPU ) to run hyper-v , now , what you are going to buy is Gen 6 .

Also please check the "advanced technology " in below article:

http://ark.intel.com/products/88187/Intel-Core-i5-6400T-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-2_80-GHz

Best Regards,

Elton

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 4:12 AM
  • Hi Sir,

I'd like to tell the truth that I bought a laptop witch has i3 530 (Gen1 Core CPU ) to run hyper-v , now , what you are going to buy is Gen 6 .

Also please check the "advanced technology " in below article:

http://ark.intel.com/products/88187/Intel-Core-i5-6400T-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-2_80-GHz

Best Regards,

Elton

Hi Elton,

I want to test more than Hyper-V. I also want to experiment with vmware esxi. 

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 5:04 AM
  • Hi Sir,

>> I also want to experiment with vmware esxi. 

AFAIK , esxi also needs to consider the compatibility with some other devices , such as network cards .

Based on this , I'd suggest you to post this question into VMware forum:

https://communities.vmware.com/welcome

Best Regards,

Elton

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 8:17 AM