none
Need to configure a custom NTP

Question

• Dears,

Looking for your supporting to configure my NTP to be a custom as following:

As i know that since the PC | vPC had joined the Domain. it will take the time configuration from Domain controller. i need to do this steps

A) configure Standalone or member server and NTP server.

B) force some PC | vPC | server to take the time form that NTP server (the optimal solution whether by GPO or others) , but not for all the environment.

c) get feedback form you about changing the DC time impact is it correct step to do !

Looking for your answers as used and thanks in advance ...  

Sunday, August 16, 2015 11:29 AM

All replies

• Hello,

changing the Default time settings in a domain is bad design. You have to stick to the domain time on each domain machine.

If you run into a difference in the Kerberos time you are not able to logon anymore or access resources. To avoid this all domain machines sync with an available DC and all DCs get the time information from the DC having the PDCEmulator FSMO. Changing this behavior will result in an unsupported scenario.

What are you trying to achieve with getting time information on specific machines not from the DCs?

To answer your "c)":

Major effect is that if the Kerberos time settings are not correct your machines will not work in the domain correct.

If you really have the need for other time server settings remove that machines from the domain and add them together in a workgroup environment.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber

MVP, MCP, MCTS

Microsoft MVP - Directory Services

My Blog: http://blogs.msmvps.com/MWeber

Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Twitter:  

• Proposed as answer by Burak Uğur Sunday, August 16, 2015 3:25 PM
    Sunday, August 16, 2015 2:37 PM
  • Thanks for answering, you clear it out for the machines. but i need to find out the optimal  solution for My DCs since i have 2 DCs taken the same time (passing 2 Min form the real time ). 
    Wednesday, August 19, 2015 5:59 AM