none
MS Project 10 RRS feed

• Question

• Purchased new single user ver of Standard Project 10 for my personal use.  Have not performed the installation. (1) Can I install it on my home desktop computer and on my travel laptop for use on the road legally? (2) Can the program be uninstalled from my laptop at trade in time and reinstalled on a new laptop in the future, legally?

Saturday, November 12, 2011 2:17 PM

Answers

• jbreiner,

Sorry you are having trouble, indeed there have been a couple of posts recently with similar problems. At first I thought it might be related to the 64 bit version but one of the users had the issue with a 32 bit install. It has to be something unique about your configuration since scores of users have successfully installed and use both the 32 bit and 64 bit version of Project 2010.

Unless we can get more definitive information for a fault scenario the only thing we can do is to suggest things to try, theories as you might call them. It's very difficult to analyze, much less solve, a problem if we can't reproduce it. Unfortunately, this isn't the first issue we've run into that fits that category.

You mention that you only have one other application installed and that is OneNote 2007. I don't know if there are different versions of OneNote, I don't use it, but you might want to try and find out and then make sure you have the appropriate version (i.e. 64 bit). Or, uninstall OneNote and get back to an "unmolested" Windows. As far as I know, Project can be installed by itself although it does use some shared Office components. If you don't have Office installed maybe the Project installer is searching for those components, isn't finding them and throws up an error. But that is just a theory.

Your initial post indicated you have both a desktop and laptop. Have you tried installing Project on your desktop?

I can relate to your frustration. A few years ago I attempted to install a service pack for Project 2007. Everything seemed to work fine until at the very end when I got a message saying "installation failed". No explanation, no suggestions, nothing. Since I use a Mac and run Windows using a virtual machine I thought that might be the reason so I put the updating idea aside. Then sometime this past year I found out, it might have been in this forum, that all the updates for Windows need to be installed before the Project updates will work. Indeed it took a while, but problem solved. Now, I hope your issue doesn't take that long, but I also hope you don't give up on Microsoft and/or Project.

John

Sunday, November 13, 2011 6:45 PM

All replies

• jbreiner,

This same basic question was recently asked on a sister forum for Project and the basic answer to both questions is, yes. However, once you install Project 2010, go to File/Help and on the right side look for "Microsoft Software License Terms". Read it.

Hope this helps.

John

Saturday, November 12, 2011 4:30 PM
  • Thanks for that confirmation.

So, I tried to install the software on a new Win 7 (64bit) laptop with 8G mem and only one other retail version of an Office product already installed (OneNote2007).  The initial Project 10 installation looked ok in the beginning and reports a successful installation. Then when I try to start it, it goes into some sort of configuration routine near the end of it's first install after several loop attempts to configure it reports insufficient memory available and crashes.

Very frustrating. There are plenty of resources available in the laptop (a new quad core Dell Precision WS) that is fairily clean and unmolested.  I see where others have reported almost identical experiences but no consistant solutions just a hoge-poge of theories. This is relatively expensive software and should not present so much of an installation challenge.  I'm going to give it one more day then uninstall and return the product where it was purchased. Would appreciate any suggestion you or anyone else may have who has encountered and possibly resolved this problem. A reformat and several days of continuing aggravation with installation this product is out of the question.  I don't understand Microsoft's motivations in something like this. Surely they have the technical capability to do better?

Sunday, November 13, 2011 5:38 PM
  • jbreiner,

Sorry you are having trouble, indeed there have been a couple of posts recently with similar problems. At first I thought it might be related to the 64 bit version but one of the users had the issue with a 32 bit install. It has to be something unique about your configuration since scores of users have successfully installed and use both the 32 bit and 64 bit version of Project 2010.

Unless we can get more definitive information for a fault scenario the only thing we can do is to suggest things to try, theories as you might call them. It's very difficult to analyze, much less solve, a problem if we can't reproduce it. Unfortunately, this isn't the first issue we've run into that fits that category.

You mention that you only have one other application installed and that is OneNote 2007. I don't know if there are different versions of OneNote, I don't use it, but you might want to try and find out and then make sure you have the appropriate version (i.e. 64 bit). Or, uninstall OneNote and get back to an "unmolested" Windows. As far as I know, Project can be installed by itself although it does use some shared Office components. If you don't have Office installed maybe the Project installer is searching for those components, isn't finding them and throws up an error. But that is just a theory.

Your initial post indicated you have both a desktop and laptop. Have you tried installing Project on your desktop?

I can relate to your frustration. A few years ago I attempted to install a service pack for Project 2007. Everything seemed to work fine until at the very end when I got a message saying "installation failed". No explanation, no suggestions, nothing. Since I use a Mac and run Windows using a virtual machine I thought that might be the reason so I put the updating idea aside. Then sometime this past year I found out, it might have been in this forum, that all the updates for Windows need to be installed before the Project updates will work. Indeed it took a while, but problem solved. Now, I hope your issue doesn't take that long, but I also hope you don't give up on Microsoft and/or Project.

John

Sunday, November 13, 2011 6:45 PM