Disk Protection RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to setup disk protection in Windows Steady State.  

How do I keep the "guest" user from seeing the "do you want to save changes or delete changes" message when they logoff or shut down the computer?  I am sure it's some kind of restriction but I don't know which.

Thanks 
    Friday, February 20, 2009 3:47 PM

Answers

• Hi,

SteadyState shows that message when any user in the Administrators group logs off, restarts, or shuts down.  Ideally, then, the solution is to make sure your guest account doesn't have admin access.  If that doesn't work for your situation, the next best solution is to select this option on the Disk Protection screen:

"Do not warn the administrator about losing changes before log off, restart, or shut down."

This affects all administrators, so when you really do want to save changes, you'll need to open SteadyState and set WDP to "retain all changes" and then reboot to save those changes, then set it back to remove all changes when it boots back up.

Thanks,
    Rob Elmer
    Development Lead
    Windows SteadyState
    Saturday, February 21, 2009 3:16 AM

All replies

• Hi,

SteadyState shows that message when any user in the Administrators group logs off, restarts, or shuts down.  Ideally, then, the solution is to make sure your guest account doesn't have admin access.  If that doesn't work for your situation, the next best solution is to select this option on the Disk Protection screen:

"Do not warn the administrator about losing changes before log off, restart, or shut down."

This affects all administrators, so when you really do want to save changes, you'll need to open SteadyState and set WDP to "retain all changes" and then reboot to save those changes, then set it back to remove all changes when it boots back up.

Thanks,
    Rob Elmer
    Development Lead
    Windows SteadyState
    Saturday, February 21, 2009 3:16 AM
  • Thanks.

I actually found a better solution.  Remove bubble.exe from starting in the registry.  Then just add a shortcut to the bubble.exe and add it to the admins program files/startup directory.

Monday, February 23, 2009 8:03 PM