none
Is it possible to export a backup from DPM? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I need to export a backup from DPM to use it in a test enviroment. I have a SQL database backup and I need to give that version of the database to the DBA. He will use that version of the database in the test envioroment.

So, I need to know how could I export the backup to use the database in a different SQL enviroment.

Melvintt
    MCTS, Windows Server 2008 R2: Network Infrastructure
    MCTS, Windows Server 2008 R2: Active Directory, Configuring

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 9:41 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Simply start a recovery for the SQL database and select the option to recover to a network folder.  You can browse to any server that has a DPM agent installed for this DPM Server.

If the SQL server in the test environment has a DPM agent installed, you can restore directly to that test server by selecting the option to "Recover to any instance of SQL Server".

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 11:31 PM
  • Hi,

The option to restore to network location is not available if you choose the "latest" recovery point in the GUI.  This is because "latest" can only be restored back to original location so we can replay the log located on the protected server.   If you want to restore to network location or another SQL Server, select an older recovery point.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by Melvintt Wednesday, May 21, 2014 3:59 PM
    Friday, May 16, 2014 6:11 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Simply start a recovery for the SQL database and select the option to recover to a network folder.  You can browse to any server that has a DPM agent installed for this DPM Server.

If the SQL server in the test environment has a DPM agent installed, you can restore directly to that test server by selecting the option to "Recover to any instance of SQL Server".

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 11:31 PM
  • Hi,

Hello Mike Jacquet,

Thanks for your fast reply.

When I start a recovery the option "Copy to a network folder" is not available. I had to look for other method and I found a powershell script.

Import-Module dataprotectionmanager
    $global:pg = Get-ProtectionGroup -DPMServerName DPMserver | ? {$_.friendlyname -eq "protection_group"}
    $global:ds = Get-Datasource $pg | where {($_.productionservername -eq "SQL Server name ") -and ($_.name -eq "data_base")}
    $global:rpl = Get-RecoveryPoint $ds | sort -Property RepresentedPointInTIme -Descending
    $global:rpl = $global:rpl[0]
    $rop = New-RecoveryOption -SQL -TargetServer "DPMserver" -RecoveryLocation CopyToFolder -RecoveryType Restore -TargetLocation "C:\Folder"
    Recover-RecoverableItem -RecoverableItem $rpl -RecoveryOption $rop

This script copy the last version of the database backup to "C:\Folder"... there is just one problem: it takes too much time!

Melvintt
    MCTS, Windows Server 2008 R2: Network Infrastructure
    MCTS, Windows Server 2008 R2: Active Directory, Configuring

• Edited by Melvintt Friday, May 16, 2014 2:27 PM the script format
    Friday, May 16, 2014 2:24 PM
  • Hi,

The option to restore to network location is not available if you choose the "latest" recovery point in the GUI.  This is because "latest" can only be restored back to original location so we can replay the log located on the protected server.   If you want to restore to network location or another SQL Server, select an older recovery point.

• Marked as answer by Melvintt Wednesday, May 21, 2014 3:59 PM
    Friday, May 16, 2014 6:11 PM