System Interrupts consuming CPU RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I hope someone can help me with my problem/s. I am running Windows 7 Pro on a Macbook Air using bootcamp. The machine uses a SSD (maybe relevant later). For a number of weeks a service (System Interrupts has been consuming vast amounts of CPU (almost 100% of the first of 4 cores) ie about 25% of all CPU. This causes the cpu to run hot, and the fan comes on frequently. I cannot find what is causing this, but suspect an automatic update is to blame. 

To compound my problem, Windows is now reporting a HDD error, ( a windows pop-up tells me to back up my machine immediately), but I am unable to see any errors on CHKDSK, nor (when booting in the Apple partition) via the Apple diagnostics, and nor does Hard Disk sentinel find any problem with the disk. 

I suspect the two issues are related, and would greatly appreciate any help!

Thanks

Friday, January 2, 2015 12:30 PM

All replies

• Sylvestern

For the CPU issue please download install and run window performance issue.

For the HD error CHKDSK will only tell you if there is an error in the file system not the HD itself.  IS the error a SMART error or something else?

If Apple has a HD checking utility (or the HD maker may) I would run it in either case.

In order to diagnose your problem we need to run Windows performance toolkit the instructions for which can be found in this wiki
    If you have any questions feel free to ask

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag

Friday, January 2, 2015 12:52 PM
  • Ok here is the link to the performance recording files (I hope I have done this right!)

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Bx3oouon_TyqNVBYMjZkRC1mSHc&usp=sharing

Friday, January 2, 2015 2:10 PM
  • Sorry I think you need this link

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Bx3oouon_TyqNVBYMjZkRC1mSHc&usp=sharing

Friday, January 2, 2015 2:12 PM
  • Sylvestern

Simple.  Norton is using more than %25.  IMHO it is garbage and should be replaced by MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) or something else but not Kaspersky, McAfee, or Symantec.

Friday, January 2, 2015 2:19 PM
  • I have disabled NAV now and my CPU is still running at 25%, and this still appears to be due to the System Interrupts process??
    Friday, January 2, 2015 3:31 PM
  • Looks like it would be an intel graphics issue... see this link

Friday, January 2, 2015 4:15 PM
  • Sylvestern

Disabling it does nothing.  It needs to be  be removed

Friday, January 2, 2015 4:31 PM
  • Jugganaatz

How did you come to that conclusion?

Friday, January 2, 2015 4:33 PM
  • The conclusion is looking into the apple forum with users running bootcamp and Macbook air's. I linked to the forum in my previous post that shows users uninstalling the Intel graphics driver correcting the issue. Some have disabled transparency and corrected the issue. Some users hibernate the machine and power back on and the issue goes away until reboot.

Yes i didn't look at the performance data from the user. But if it doesn't work for them i would try seeing what has worked for others.

Friday, January 2, 2015 4:48 PM
  • Jugganutz

Hardly sounds conclusive.  What may work for one use may not for another.  Without diagnosing the individual situation it is a coin toss and in this case has zero to do with this one.

Friday, January 2, 2015 5:42 PM
  • Agree that it doesn't sound conclusive. I agree with what your doing and your approach. Cheers mate! Happy 2015!
    Friday, January 2, 2015 6:17 PM
  • Sometimes balanced power plan creates problems with certain configurations.

I would suggest to try changing the power plan to "high performance"  and see if that makes any difference.

Friday, January 2, 2015 6:53 PM