Windows 7 Column Settings RRS feed

• Question

• Looking for definitions of Windows Column Settings. Example; What is "Date" as apposed "Date Created" or "Date Received"?
    Friday, September 30, 2011 3:41 PM

Answers

• It depends on what folder customization you (or the system) have chosen for the folder you're in.  I believe, for example, if you're seeing Date in "Pictures" mode, it's the date the photo was taken from the EXIF information in the file.

Right-click on the folder over in the navigation pane and choose Properties, then click the Customize tab.

If you select General Items, you'll see the "normal" file creation and modification date information.

Personally I got sick of the system choosing various folder customizations for me and tweaked my registry so that only General Items view would be shown.  I can describe how to do that if you like.  It doesn't block the possibility of seeing thumbnails or anything, but it makes the reported information consistent.

-Noel

• Marked as answer by Juke Chou Thursday, October 6, 2011 9:35 AM
    Friday, September 30, 2011 7:08 PM

All replies

• It depends on what folder customization you (or the system) have chosen for the folder you're in.  I believe, for example, if you're seeing Date in "Pictures" mode, it's the date the photo was taken from the EXIF information in the file.

Right-click on the folder over in the navigation pane and choose Properties, then click the Customize tab.

If you select General Items, you'll see the "normal" file creation and modification date information.

Personally I got sick of the system choosing various folder customizations for me and tweaked my registry so that only General Items view would be shown.  I can describe how to do that if you like.  It doesn't block the possibility of seeing thumbnails or anything, but it makes the reported information consistent.

-Noel

• Marked as answer by Juke Chou Thursday, October 6, 2011 9:35 AM
    Friday, September 30, 2011 7:08 PM
  • Can you help me with some Registry edits to customize the "Music" template. I need to add columns and make that the default.

I'm using Win 7 Ultimate on one last clean install.

James Bowen

Saturday, August 17, 2019 8:33 PM
  • I am interested in Registry settings to help customize the "Music" folder template. I need to add several columns and make that the default for all future music folders. I use a Win7 Ultimate system. I have a 500gb hard drive full of music and the individual artists folders are on the root of that drive. I can't find a way to customize the whole drive a one time and customizing all of the individual folders is not going to happen.

Please help

JB

Friday, August 23, 2019 6:22 PM