none
Project Server trying to use the wrong service database RRS feed

  • Question

  • Today I check my SharePoint servers Event Viewer and I see a critical error for Project Server..

    It says it is failing to access a database which does not exist..

    It is trying to access "ProjectServer_ServiceDB" when I set it up to use "ProjectServer_Service".

    I have attempted this migration from 2010 to 2013 before and I previously used that "ProjectServer_ServiceDB" name but then I had to cancel the process, drop the databases out of SQL and start over. I kept getting errors in PowerShell when I tried running the consolidation of the PS 2010 databases into one PS 2013 database so I had to use a different name for service database.

    How do I fix this? I am trying to access the PWA settings from CA but it keeps erroring.

    Also, this is only happening on my 2nd SharePoint server, not the first one.

    • Edited by mistajokka Wednesday, January 9, 2013 9:32 PM
    Wednesday, January 9, 2013 9:27 PM

Answers

All replies

  • It can be many things causing this

    1 firewall blocking access

    2 service does not have enough permissions on SQL server

    3 farm admin does not have access

    chhers


    Michael Wharton, MVP, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCTS, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com
    Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

    Wednesday, January 9, 2013 11:48 PM
    Moderator
  • No, I don't think you understood my issue, and that may be my fault so I am sorry if it is.

    My issue,

    SharePoint Server #1 is fine

    SharePoint Server #2 has an error in the event log:

    An exception occurred while running the job scheduler. 
    
    Reason: Cannot open database "SP_ProjectServer_ServiceDB" requested by the login. The login failed.
    Login failed for user 'AD\sp_farm'.

    What is weird - "SP_ProjectServer_ServiceDB" is NOT my Project Server Service Database. It does not exist on the SQL Server.

    My Service Database is named "SP_ProjectServer_Service".

    It is trying to read the wrong database and I am posting here to see what I do to fix that. If there is any PowerShell work I can do to fix, or something else.

    Thanks!

    Wednesday, January 9, 2013 11:56 PM
  • Michael,

    It seems like you have an orphan object in your configuration database since you deleted the database for SQL (I assume) and not from PWA provisioning page. However, deleting an orphan object can get tricky. Check this article and see if this will help.
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/nishants/archive/2008/10/10/how-to-delete-orphan-configuration-objects-from-sharepoint-farm.aspx

    Good Luck,

     


    Ali Al | Consultant & IT Manager | WWW.EPMAINC.COM

    • Marked as answer by mistajokka Thursday, January 10, 2013 4:52 PM
    Thursday, January 10, 2013 2:44 PM
  • I resolved this. It was a timer job:

    "Project Web App: Shared Service Job for: _my PWA site_"

    I had to go into SQL and find the orphan, note its Object ID and tie it to the timer job ID, then I disabled that timer job and now I am not seeing any errors about that in the Event Viewer any longer.

    • Marked as answer by mistajokka Thursday, January 10, 2013 4:52 PM
    Thursday, January 10, 2013 4:51 PM
  • Glad it worked out for you.


    Ali Al | Consultant & IT Manager | WWW.EPMAINC.COM

    Thursday, January 10, 2013 4:59 PM
  • Hi Michael, You are right the issue here is the timer job, but i think disabling this pwa service job is not the solution. Although the errors on sharePoint is gone but this issue still exist if you decided to enable the pwa service job again. This pwa service job is essential to have a fully functional EPM. One of the PWA task that is using this service is 'Daily Schedule Backup' which backup the project publish db and put it on archive db.

    Like you i also have this dilemna and i'm still looking for the solution. See my issue about this on this link

    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/projserv2010setup/thread/4c99cc6f-3cd6-4a7c-a3f7-a89526612915

    The other solution that i am thinking is to reprovision the PWA site, but i think this is my last option. I'm hoping that there is powershell script that will fix the timer job so it will connect to the right database. Thanks Rupert

    • Edited by RupertJM Sunday, February 3, 2013 10:10 PM typo
    Sunday, February 3, 2013 9:50 PM