App-V 5 think-cell and Office 2016 x64 on Windows 10 x64 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi world...

I tried to, what looks like easy, create an AppV 5 package for think-cell 8 on my Windows 10 x64 machien with Office 2016 x64 installed.

It all looks fine, the plugin is available in Powerpoint/Excel, but when using it I ran into issues when powerpoint tries to open an Excel sheet. That's the point when it failed.

I gave the AppV package access outside the bubble and also gave full accees within the bubble.

Anyone have experience with creating an AppV for think-cell?

Any tips ?

Friday, September 22, 2017 8:11 AM

All replies

• Got thinkcell running as appv package on both win7/2008r2 (office 2010 32b) as win10/server2016 (office2016 c2r 32b).
    Are you using 2016 MSI version, or C2R? How is office delivered? How did you make the addin available in office? Through RunVirtual or the appvve switch?

Roy Essers

Saturday, September 23, 2017 1:30 PM
  • Hi Roy, thanks for you response.

We use a local install of Office 2016 64-bit (MSI) on Windows 10 64-bit. It is not a C2R version.

I made addin available by sequencing it on a virtual machine with Office 2016 installed. In there I created two shortcuts. One for PowerPoint en and one for Excel.

After finalysing sequencing those two shortcuts are using /appvve to combine the addin to the local installed Excel and PowerPoint.

It looks like it all works...the addin is there...but when using the think-cell addin from e.g. PowerPoint: started PowerPoint, insert a think-cell Pie for example, then Excel will be opened by OLE and that failed. It seems tha the OLE connection is broken.

Also opening text, object, Excel worksheet does not work when using the AppV.

Regards, Johan

Saturday, September 23, 2017 2:36 PM
  • What are your COM settings? For all my office add-ins I use the following settings:
          <COM Mode="Integrated">
            <IntegratedCOMAttributes OutOfProcessEnabled="true" InProcessEnabled="false" />
          </COM>
          <Objects Enabled="true" />

You can change this though the deployment -or userconfig.xml

Roy Essers

Monday, September 25, 2017 6:58 AM
  • Hi Roy, I use:

<COM Mode="Integrated">
            <IntegratedCOMAttributes OutOfProcessEnabled="true" InProcessEnabled="true" />
          </COM>
          <Objects Enabled="true" />

I will try your settings.....

Monday, September 25, 2017 7:06 AM
  • I ran into the same issue on Windows 7 with Office 2016 C2R. To solve it, sequence with PVAD on and install Think-cell into PVAD. Edit the sequence by exporting the HKCR entries en import them into HKCU\Software\Classes. Create a little script which adds the add-in registry keys for Office: HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\Excel\addins\thinkcell.addin and .\PowerPoint\Addins\thinkcell.addin. Add this script to userconfig.xml in the UserScripts/PublishPackage section.

To finish the package, create a script that removes those keys when unpublishing.

Thursday, January 11, 2018 1:45 PM
  • I tried doing this with an appvve however we solved this by sequencing it as an add-on and using runvirtual. this works as a charm!
    Tuesday, February 13, 2018 1:57 PM
  • I tried doing this with an appvve however we solved this by sequencing it as an add-on and using runvirtual. this works as a charm!

Could you describe exactly what you did?

Wednesday, February 14, 2018 7:14 AM