none
Project Server 2010 - unexpected error open project plan in PWA RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi there, first I´m not sure if this thread is placed right, sorry if it´s wrong here :) Second our PS14 is in german language, some translations could be very bad ;)

we have a little problem giving our users access to the project plan. For testing we created a new group (NewGroup) and a new category (NewCat). Our testuser (NewUser) is assigned to NewGroup which has following global rights allowed (nothing els checked):

• General -> Login
    • General -> Change password
    • Views -> Show Project Center
    • Views -> Show project plan views
    • Views -> Show Taskcenter
    • Status reports -> Edit status report answers

NewCat is assigned to NewGroup and has following rights allowed:

• Project - Open project
    • Project - Show project plan in Project Web App
    • Project - Show project summary in Project Center

If I now login with NewUser and open the Project Center I can see (as expected) only my testproject but if I click on the project link or choose "Open -> In Project Web App" I get an unexpected error.

Then I switched to Central Administration and configured diagnostic logging and got this:

System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: ProjectServerError(s) LastError=GeneralSecurityAccessDenied Instructions: Pass this into PSClientError constructore to access all error information    at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.WebServiceProxy.QueueSystem.ReadProjectJobStatus(Guid[] projectGUIDs, QueueMsgType[] messageTypes, JobState[] JobCompletionStates, DateTime fromDate, DateTime toDate, Int32 maxRows, Boolean includeWaitTime, SortColumn sortColumn, SortOrder sortOrder)     at Microsoft.Office.Project.PWA.WebParts.PDPFeature.AmountOfQueueWorkPending()     at Microsoft.Office.Project.PWA.WebParts.PDPFeature.CheckForPendingPDPSaveAndCheckinOperation()     at Microsoft.Office.Project.PWA.WebParts.PDPFeature.OnLoad(EventArgs e)     at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()     at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()     at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()     at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()     at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()     at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()     at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

We played with the NewCat rights and saw if we check "Edit project summary fields" the project opens without problem, but now the user can edit the project name, start date and owner. That is not a good situation ;(

Is there anything we missed?

Thank you :)

Friday, July 9, 2010 9:12 AM

Answers

• Hi,

your translation can't be worse than in German version ;-). Think of "Fertig stellen" instead of "Ende" in Project Professional.

There is already a discussion about that, have a look at http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/projectserver2010general/thread/f58b7b60-a2f7-47dd-87fd-565aa5ecb4ca. To be able to view project schedule in PWA, a user needs "Open project" in group-category permission AND "New Project" in global permissions. Or as you found "open project" and "Edit project summary fields". However, too much privileges for a standard team member in my opinion. Even if I prefer your "Edit summary" more than creating new projects.

No solution so far, but I wanted to tell that are not alone with your requirement ...

Regards

Barbara

Friday, July 9, 2010 10:08 AM

All replies

• Hi,

your translation can't be worse than in German version ;-). Think of "Fertig stellen" instead of "Ende" in Project Professional.

There is already a discussion about that, have a look at http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/projectserver2010general/thread/f58b7b60-a2f7-47dd-87fd-565aa5ecb4ca. To be able to view project schedule in PWA, a user needs "Open project" in group-category permission AND "New Project" in global permissions. Or as you found "open project" and "Edit project summary fields". However, too much privileges for a standard team member in my opinion. Even if I prefer your "Edit summary" more than creating new projects.

No solution so far, but I wanted to tell that are not alone with your requirement ...

Regards

Barbara

Friday, July 9, 2010 10:08 AM
  • Thank you for the info!
    Friday, July 9, 2010 10:20 AM
  • Hi,

I found a hotfix released in December: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2459112.

Consider the following scenario:

• You are a team member of a project in Project Server 2010.
    • You only have permissions to view projects in PWA.
    • You drill into the project.

In this scenario, you receive the following error message:
    An unexpected error has occurred.

Sorry, I haven't had a chance to test so far.

Regards

Barbara

Friday, December 31, 2010 8:22 AM
  • Hi Barbara

Do you think this KB article addresses the design of security or just eliminates the error? Meaning, will it allow security for team members to function more like we saw in 07 when members could view tasks (even tasks assigned to others) but not change information?

My initial reading of the KB seems like it is just handling the error and that we are not going to be able to enable task viewing for team members to that level without opening their permissions past the comfort zone. What are your thoughts as I could be very mistaken. Thanks!

Lisa

Friday, December 31, 2010 3:17 PM
  • Hi Lisa,

I haven't a chance to test so far and I will not be able to do so within the next two weeks. But I think the permission issue is resolved by this hotfix. There had been some discussions around that and Microsoft was aware of. So I am really optimistic that it will not only handling this error. Especially, since "You only have permissions to view projects in PWA" is mentioned. If a user is allowed to view, he should be able to do so ;-).

Stig told that he wanted to test as soon he has a chance, hopefully he will let us know (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/projserv2010setup/thread/f2521a2c-b909-4010-bf74-34a6b3b8edab)

Regards
    Barbara

Friday, December 31, 2010 4:35 PM
  • Thank Barbara,

I see the KB article that is now being referred to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2459112/ and as I haven't yet gotten my hands on the software, I probably need to wait and test it to actually see what has been done. I think I've gotten doubly confused by the comments on using Department in a non-standard way as a possible work around. I'm still getting used to how to research these types of concerns.

Thank you for your response!

Monday, January 3, 2011 7:54 PM
  • Hi Lisa,

as I just wrote to your question to Khurram. KB2459112 is included in CU December which was released a few hours after I wrote that at least KB2459112 was available.

Khurram wrote that he already tested and it did work.

I understand that you got confused with all suggested work arounds (there where a few more offline ;-)). I identified at least 6 discussion dealing with this issue, but with different aspects.

Before this hotfix, we had following situation: A team member with standard permissions could open Project Details because this group has "New Project" permission.
    To get permission to open Project Details, it was necessary to give users either "New Project" or "Edit project summary fields".

But others and me thought that be too much privileges for a some kind of team member. We wanted to be able to have a group, whose members should be allowed to display Project Details without a chance to modify an existing or to create a new project - like 2007. E.g. for suppliers or customers.
    As Khurram wrote, this should be the case now. I am looking forward to see it, but I won't have a chance within the next two weeks.

Good luck with your own testing!
    Barbara

Monday, January 3, 2011 8:47 PM