User's Outlook calendar has busy appointments not created by user RRS feed

• Question

• A user just opened a ticket with us (IT) because her Outlook calendar suddenly has a bunch of appointments in it starting this week and continuing for the next 5 weeks where it just shows "Busy" in the description. These are the user's own appointments, not a viewing of someone else's calendar. The user states she did not input these appointments. There are anywhere from 5 to 8 of these each week, at a different day and time for each appointment (not recurring). The user is afraid to delete them since she did not create them and wants us to "fix" this. I do not understand what would cause this. We use Office 365 to host our email. The user is using Office 2016 on her PC but these appointments also show the same in OWA. I opened her mailbox in OWA and I am seeing the same thing as the user. Can anyone tell me what would cause this? I tried to Google it but just keep getting stuff about appointments in someone else's calendar showing as "busy" due to permissions.
    Tuesday, December 10, 2019 6:52 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

>> someone else shared a training calendar with her.

>> It's strange that it shows them all being created at exactly the same time.

It seems that this is not a Outlook client issue, instead some external code or virus might cause this. Just delete these calendars and clean the computer, then work as usual. If the issue appears again, feel free to post back.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Margaret A-L Monday, December 16, 2019 8:51 PM
    Thursday, December 12, 2019 8:50 AM

All replies

• Can you check the calendar permissions of that specific user to see if anyother person has got any delegate access of users mailbox or calendar and they are booking the meeting invites on behalf of user..

Can you open up and see any one invite and see the sender and check the permission on those as well to see if that is incorrectly being sent to user 

Kindly mark it as answer if that helped

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post or click Answered"Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster.]

Tuesday, December 10, 2019 7:02 PM
  • The only mailbox permissions delegated are to me (full access) so I can view her calendar. As far as calendar permissions, the only thing I see is her manager has "AvailabilityOnly" and that is also the default permission. No one else has permissions delegated to the calendar. The "Busy" appointment is not an "invite" so it doesn't show a sender. When I open it in her calendar, it just shows "Busy" in the subject field, it shows the start and end time and it has the default reminder of 15 minutes. All the Busy appointments are like that.
    Tuesday, December 10, 2019 7:14 PM
  • Hi,

>> The user is using Office 2016 on her PC but these appointments also show the same in OWA.

Since the user is using Office 365 account and all her calendar's events will be synced between client and server, this can't indicate whether this is a server issue or a client issue.

>> her Outlook calendar suddenly has a bunch of appointments

What specific operations did she do before this problem occurred? Please delete these appointments and see if this issue can be reproduced. 

Besides, it is also suggested to remove your permisions on his mailbox and work for a while then see if the issue can be reproduced.

All in all, we need to try reproducing this issue and find its root cause.

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 11, 2019 8:00 AM
  • Before the problem occurred, the user was working from home and tells me that someone else shared a training calendar with her. Just to be clear, her mailbox was not delegated to me until AFTER the problem occurred. I gave myself full access to her mailbox so I could go into it and look at these appointments that were created. I ran the Get-CalendarDiagnosticObjects command yesterday to get more info on these appointments and it shows them all being created by the user's account at 1:17 pm on 12/9/19 in OWA. It's strange that it shows them all being created at exactly the same time.
    Wednesday, December 11, 2019 5:32 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

>> someone else shared a training calendar with her.

>> It's strange that it shows them all being created at exactly the same time.

It seems that this is not a Outlook client issue, instead some external code or virus might cause this. Just delete these calendars and clean the computer, then work as usual. If the issue appears again, feel free to post back.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

• Marked as answer by Margaret A-L Monday, December 16, 2019 8:51 PM
    Thursday, December 12, 2019 8:50 AM
  • Hi,

I'm writing to see if the reply above is helpful to you. If yes, would you mind helping mark the reply as answer? So that others who might have a similar question can benefit from your thread? Thanks for your understanding and support.

Regards, 

Aidan Wang

Monday, December 16, 2019 7:28 AM
  • Hi,

Here I will provide a brief summary of this post for your information. This will make answer searching in the forum easier!

Request/Expectation:

User's Outlook calendar has busy appointments not created by user

Solution Summary:

It seems that this is not a Outlook client issue, instead some external code or virus might cause this. Just delete these calendars and clean the computer, then work as usual.

Reference Links:

No.

Regards, 

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, December 17, 2019 8:18 AM