none
Exchange 2013 and 2010 coexistence mail flow issue RRS feed

• Question

• I have an exchange 2010 environment where 2013 was introduced for migration and upgradation. Both the servers are in the same subnet. While testing the mail flow between the environment:

- Mails from 2013 mailbox are getting delivered to 2010 mailbox and to external email(gmail etc..)

-Mails sent to 2013 mailbox(irrespective of the source mailbox-2010 or external) are NOT getting delivered to the inbox.

While troubleshooting and tracking i found following things:

1. The mails with 2013 mailbox as their destination are stuck in the retry queue of 2010 hub server(i.e the mails are reaching in the environment)

2. message tracking logs show message as received whereas it is not.

3. i checked the anonymous user in the default receive connector of 2013, but it did not help

4. dns settings and nslookup are all fine.

what could be the possible reason for such a behaviour on exchange 2013 or 2010.

Wednesday, January 13, 2016 11:22 AM

Answers

• Hi,

As Andy said, it would be better to provide the error message of Exchange 2010 queue.

On the other hand, how about sending email from Exchange 2013? Would this problem occurs?

The “Received” status of message tracking log doesn’t equals email was delivered successfully. According to the introduction of TechNet Library:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124375(EXCHG.80).aspx

RECEIVE:

A message was received and committed to the database. The RECEIVE event can be SMTP receive (Source: SMTP) or mail submitted by STOREDRIVER (Source: STOREDRIVER).

SMTP RECEIVE can be from any source that submits a message by using SMTP. For example, it can be a Hub Transport server role, an Edge Transport server role, a third-party message transfer agent (MTA), or a POP/IMAP client.

DELIVER:

A message was delivered to a mailbox.

It would be better to post the detailed message of message tracking log here.

In the end, since this problem occurs email received, you can try to use Microsoft Remote Connectivity Analyzer make further troubleshooting, please select Inbound SMTP Email.

https://testconnectivity.microsoft.com/

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 14, 2016 9:51 AM

All replies

• I have an exchange 2010 environment where 2013 was introduced for migration and upgradation. Both the servers are in the same subnet. While testing the mail flow between the environment:

- Mails from 2013 mailbox are getting delivered to 2010 mailbox and to external email(gmail etc..)

-Mails sent to 2013 mailbox(irrespective of the source mailbox-2010 or external) are NOT getting delivered to the inbox.

1. The mails with 2013 mailbox as their destination are stuck in the retry queue of 2010 hub server(i.e the mails are reaching in the environment)

3. i checked the anonymous user in the default receive connector of 2013, but it did not help

what could be the possible reason for such a behaviour on exchange 2013 or 2010.

Whats the error in the retry queue on the 2010 side? Thats usually pretty telling.

Dont mess with the default receive connectors on the 2013 side. If you have made any changes to them, undo that.

Wednesday, January 13, 2016 12:14 PM

Whats the error in the retry queue on the 2010 side? Thats usually pretty telling.

Dont mess with the default receive connectors on the 2013 side. If you have made any changes to them, undo that.

Also, take a look at AV make sure it's configured properly and I like to disable any software firewalls that might be installed.   

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread

Wednesday, January 13, 2016 2:35 PM
  • Hi,

As Andy said, it would be better to provide the error message of Exchange 2010 queue.

On the other hand, how about sending email from Exchange 2013? Would this problem occurs?

The “Received” status of message tracking log doesn’t equals email was delivered successfully. According to the introduction of TechNet Library:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124375(EXCHG.80).aspx

RECEIVE:

A message was received and committed to the database. The RECEIVE event can be SMTP receive (Source: SMTP) or mail submitted by STOREDRIVER (Source: STOREDRIVER).

SMTP RECEIVE can be from any source that submits a message by using SMTP. For example, it can be a Hub Transport server role, an Edge Transport server role, a third-party message transfer agent (MTA), or a POP/IMAP client.

DELIVER:

A message was delivered to a mailbox.

It would be better to post the detailed message of message tracking log here.

In the end, since this problem occurs email received, you can try to use Microsoft Remote Connectivity Analyzer make further troubleshooting, please select Inbound SMTP Email.

https://testconnectivity.microsoft.com/

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 14, 2016 9:51 AM