Excel 2013 - Problem saving .XLS files to network drive RRS feed

• Question

• Ok, I have a very strange issue.  I have a machine running Win7 Ultimate that I have setup using DeepFreeze which freezes the C: drive so that no changes can be made to it.  I have set the Documents folder to a mapped drive letter (I:\My Documents) and set the folder to be available offline.

Here is what I've discovered...

1. If I have a .XLS file with data in it and open the file, make a change and save the file, once I reboot, the file is now 0 bytes and empty!
    2. If I open a .XLSX file and do a "Save As" and make the type .XLS, all is fine initially even after reboot.
    3. If I then make a change to the .XLS file from step 2, once I reboot, all the changes are gone!
    4. If I only work with .XLSX files, I have no issues at all.  I can open, make changes, save and all is fine.

Seeing as this is only an issue with .XLS files (not .XLSX), I don't believe there is any permission issue with the share, but I still made the user owner and granted all permissions to the share to this user anyway.

Also, I get no error messages at all on the save and it appears the file has been saved with no issue.

The machine is brand new and I have installed all Windows and Office updates available.

Does anyone have any idea of what's going on here?
    Tuesday, September 10, 2013 11:10 AM

Answers

• Sorry I haven't replied before as I've been busy deploying several new machines.

I figured out the issue - it was the way I was mapping "My Documents" to the server.  I had originally just added the network connection to the list of the library locations, which requires you to index the files for offline usage.  That's where the issue came from.  It was, I think, writing to the local cache and never writing it out to the actual network drive.  When rebooting, Deep Freeze killed the local cache and the file was never written.

I still don't understand why .XLSX files WOULD work, while .XLS files would NOT, but after changing the mapping to not include the offline usage, everything is working fine!

Took me quite a bit of time to figure it out as it didn't affect all files, though!

• Marked as answer by Orionizer Wednesday, October 9, 2013 7:00 PM
    Wednesday, October 9, 2013 3:08 PM

All replies

• Hi

Did the issue still occur after you make changes and  save the .xls file to local disk?

If it works well in local disk, upload to the shared location to check the issue.

If the problem persists, we might create a new workbook and copy/paste the contents to the new one to see if it helps.

It is also recommended to start Excel in safe mode for troubleshooting: Win+R>excel /safe

Regards

Tylor Wang
    TechNet Community Support

• Edited by TylorWang Wednesday, September 11, 2013 9:51 AM
    • Proposed as answer by TylorWang Wednesday, September 18, 2013 1:53 AM
    • Marked as answer by Tony Chen CHN Wednesday, October 9, 2013 2:35 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Orionizer Wednesday, October 9, 2013 6:59 PM
    Wednesday, September 11, 2013 8:54 AM
  • Sorry I haven't replied before as I've been busy deploying several new machines.

I figured out the issue - it was the way I was mapping "My Documents" to the server.  I had originally just added the network connection to the list of the library locations, which requires you to index the files for offline usage.  That's where the issue came from.  It was, I think, writing to the local cache and never writing it out to the actual network drive.  When rebooting, Deep Freeze killed the local cache and the file was never written.

I still don't understand why .XLSX files WOULD work, while .XLS files would NOT, but after changing the mapping to not include the offline usage, everything is working fine!

Took me quite a bit of time to figure it out as it didn't affect all files, though!

• Marked as answer by Orionizer Wednesday, October 9, 2013 7:00 PM
    Wednesday, October 9, 2013 3:08 PM