Windows update keeps giving error code 80070020 RRS feed

• Question

• When I try to update Vista I recieve an error messege with error code 80070020, and sometimes it just cuts off and goes back to the 'you need to update' screen. From reading up on forums people keep talking about disabling bitdefender to solve the problem, however I don't have bit defender and it is still happeneing! I've tried the 5 steps Microsoft gives you on their help site to tackle the problem but it makes no difference. I'm currently using Antivir (antivirus) if that helps. If I try to update it in safe mode with networking enabled Windows update doesn't even open, I could sit clicking the link all day and it doesn't do anything. I thought I might somehow have an illigitimate copy of Vista so when in safe mode I ran Genuine Validation, and it said my version of Windows wasn't legal. However I knew that this wasn't the case so I took it out of safe mode and checked again, the results came back telling me that my version was fine and legal. Ah stupid Vista! It's got more bugs than an ant farm. Does anybody know anything short of reformatting that I can do to get Vista to update, or so help me I might actually have to sit on the phone for 4 hours onto Microsoft while they don't solve my problem and tell me to reformat anyway.
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 7:55 PM

All replies