none
LUA and APPC LLU RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I am a bit confused with the existing configuration of the HIS servers in my company's environment.

When it was setup a long time ago, The LUA name and APPC LLU name have been setup as one and the same.

I did some search in Google and went through some articles and other material. As per the articles I went through, APPC and LUA are both used for application to application access. The one difference was that APPC uses LU6.2 while LUA does not.

I just want to make sure whether there is any relationship between LUA and APPC LLU or not. It may have been a silly decision when it was setup but I do not have any option to verify the same.

Kindly help me in this case.

Regards,

Kumaran R

Monday, July 26, 2010 4:47 AM

Answers

• There is no relationship between a LUA LU and an APPC LU. The HIS configuration allows you to use the same LU Name for a LUA and APPC LU, but you really shouldn't do that as it can make it confusing when trying to keep things straight.

One thing to know is that the LU name for a LUA and 3270 LU does not have to match anything on the mainfrmae side. Therefore you can use whatever name makes sense for you.

On the other hand, the APPC LU Name does match the LU Name (for an LU defined with LOCADDR=0) defined in the PU name in VTAM. However, the APPC LU Alias is arbitrary and only exists withing the HIS configuration. The LU Alias does not have to match anything in VTAM.

Thanks...

Stephen Jackson - MSFT
    Monday, July 26, 2010 1:37 PM

All replies

• There is no relationship between a LUA LU and an APPC LU. The HIS configuration allows you to use the same LU Name for a LUA and APPC LU, but you really shouldn't do that as it can make it confusing when trying to keep things straight.

One thing to know is that the LU name for a LUA and 3270 LU does not have to match anything on the mainfrmae side. Therefore you can use whatever name makes sense for you.

On the other hand, the APPC LU Name does match the LU Name (for an LU defined with LOCADDR=0) defined in the PU name in VTAM. However, the APPC LU Alias is arbitrary and only exists withing the HIS configuration. The LU Alias does not have to match anything in VTAM.

Thanks...

Stephen Jackson - MSFT
    Monday, July 26, 2010 1:37 PM
  • Thank you for the prompt response.
    Wednesday, July 28, 2010 1:31 AM