Forefront and SC Configuration Manager 2007/SUP RRS feed

• Question

• In our farm we are deployed a SC 2007 network architecture, formed by Operations Manager 2007 and Configuration Manager 2007. About connections with SCOM I found replies in previous "Forefront without MOM" post, while I have doubts about SCCM, since when I enable SUP (Software Update Point) ConfigMgr takes full control of WSUS 3.0 server. In this situation I can't figure out if I can still manage FCS.

In general the question is: "How FCS can be integrated in a full System Center 2007 architecture?".

thanks for replies

Mario

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 9:58 AM

All replies

• Hey Mario,

lets seperate two things:

1. FCS Management

2. FCS Client Definitions and Engine Updates.

in order to manage Forefront client security (creating central policy and recieving central reporting for all the clients) you need an FCS server with FCS Management Console installed.

in order to maintain your clients up-to-date, you can choose to work however you see suitable for you network. I have several deployments working with SCCM to update their clients and find it more suitable and convient to do so.

if you need further instrucitons or have any questions regarding this issue, feel free to contact me.

Sunday, January 27, 2008 11:40 PM
  • Hey Yaniv,

Our attentions is overall on the management point. Our objective it is to utilize the System Center infrastructure, that is distribuite the FCS package client by the Distribution Software functions of System Center Configuration Manager (and I'm driving tests for this) and download and deploy FCS updates by SUP (Software Update Point, that is a WSUS 3.0 server) of SCCM self.

My sensation is, perhaps and for this moment, to keep separate the infrastructures, for example build a WSUS server for SUP/SCCM e another WSUS for manage FCS update, this one because for us the IT administrations must be overall simple.

thanks for the help

Mario

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 9:49 AM
  • Hi Mario,

I didn't understand what you ment all the way through, but if you do with to use two seperate WSUS servers, just remember that your client can work only with one set of Windows Update settings (through GPO).

that being said, it is possible to use one WSUS with SCCM to distribute normal updates, and the other WSUS to install FCS updates, but your client windows update settings via GPO must point the the seperate WSUS.

I hope that answers your issue.

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 6:33 PM