none
Upgrade from DPM 2007/Win 2003 x86 RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to figure out how to migrate a machine from DPM 2007/Win 2003 x86 to DPM 2010/Win 2008 R2. Most of the DPM upgrade info I've been able to find presumes that you're upgrading an existing OS and DPM instance, but that's not going to work if I'm starting from a 32 bit OS. Presumably my only option is to do a fresh OS and DPM install. The question is, can I save my existing replicas and DPM database? I'm assuming there's a way to back up the DB off of the machine and restore it into the new installation. And the replicas are all on an external iSCSI device, so there ought to be a way to reattach that to the new installation and reconnect all those volumes to the new DPM instance. I can't find much detailed info on the steps I'll have to take, though. Any info that can be provided would be a big help.
    • Moved by Praveen D [MSFT] Monday, July 19, 2010 6:24 AM Moving DPM Setup Forum (From:Data Protection Manager)
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 7:08 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Before reimaging the OS you should do the following as documented at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd637098.aspx

1. Back up the DPM database.
    2. Uninstall DPM and choose to retain data.
    3. Uninstall Powershell.

Since you've backed up database and chosen to retain data so your database and replica volumes are not lost.

After reimaging OS to Windows 2008 do the following:

1. Ensure all the disks containing DPM replica volumes are online.
    2. Reinstall DPM.
    3. Restore the DPM database.

See the details of each step in http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd637098.aspx

So, now you've the exact DPM server as before rebuilt on Windows server 2008.

-- Thanks Venkata Praveen[MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, July 27, 2010 9:15 AM

All replies

• Please refer to DPM 2010 Upgrade Advisor for any upgrade related queries. You can download this from http://blogs.technet.com/b/dpm/archive/2010/02/26/upgrade-advisor-for-dpm-2010-now-available.aspx

Let us know if you need any further help

Thanks, Nutesh Garg [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    • Proposed as answer by Nutesh Garg [MSFT] Wednesday, July 14, 2010 5:32 AM
    • Marked as answer by Parag Agrawal Wednesday, July 14, 2010 10:39 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by GE666 Thursday, July 15, 2010 4:40 PM
    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 5:32 AM
  • Thanks for the info, but I have looked at the upgrade advisor already and it doesn't seem to address the case where the current OS is 32 bit. As far as I know there is no way to upgrade from a 32 bit to a 64 bit OS. We'll have to do a fresh install of the OS, and then a fresh install of DPM. So we'll need to back up the DPM database off of the server temporarily and then restore it afterwards, and we'll also need to remount all the replica volumes afterwards and somehow get it to all synch up in DPM again. I'm looking for info on how to proceed with this.

Thursday, July 15, 2010 4:47 PM
  • If you select the current OS to be 2003 x86 then it will generate the detailed steps:

The first step has the link describing the migration process.

1. Migrate DPM server to Windows Server 2008 x64 or Windows Server 2008 R2 (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd637098.aspx)
    2. Install latest DPM 2007 rollup package (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/979970)(Optional)
    3. Close DPM administrator console and DPM management shell if opened.
    4. Launch DPM 2010 RTM Eval setup and proceed by clicking on Install DPM
    5. Complete the installation wizard and restart the computer to complete the upgrade
    6. Upgrade agents on production servers
    Note: If rollup KB976542 (version 2.0.8861.0) or later is installed, you can upgrade the agent from the DPM Administrator Console. If this rollup is not installed, you should upgrade the agents manually by running the DPMAgentInstaller.
    7. Run consistency check for all the protected Datasources
    8. Uninstall DPM 2007 SQL instance (Optional) if there are no issues after upgrade.However, if you're looking for downgrade then DPM 2007 DPMDB is required.

Thanks, Nutesh Garg [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Monday, July 19, 2010 6:18 AM
  • Thanks for responding again. However, I still think something is missing from the upgrade advisor in the case where the current OS is 32 bit. The only thing that is said regarding the OS upgrade in the info linked from step one of the upgrade advisor info is "While you are upgrading to Windows Server 2008, make sure that the bit version of both operating systems are same." But DPM 2010 only runs on 64 bit, and as far as I know, it's not possible to change the bit version of an OS installation.

Therefore, if I'm upgrading from Win 2003 x86, I can't upgrade the OS in place. I need to do a fresh install of Win 2008 x64. That means that we'll lose the DPM database, and we'll lose all the replica volumes. I can see now how to backup and recover the DPM database, but there is still the problem of the replicas.

I think what I'm trying to do is to retain all of the existing replicas by somehow adding those disks into the storage pool for the new DPM instance without losing data, and then mounting all those volumes in the correct paths so that they are present in the new system before we run DpmSync -sync.  

If I just run DpmSync -sync after restoring the DB, I would not expect it to accomplish much, since none of the replica volumes will be present in the new system. And, if I then run DpmSync -reallocateReplica, it will recreate the replica volumes, but they will be newly formatted. I guess the idea is that we've got copies of the replicas somwhere else and we then copy them into the reallocated replica volumes, but that is not feasible for us as we are working with a single instance of DPM, so there are no other copies of the replicas around, and we do not have sufficient storage to manually make some temporary copies somewhere. 

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 7:00 PM
  • Hi,

Before reimaging the OS you should do the following as documented at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd637098.aspx

1. Back up the DPM database.
    2. Uninstall DPM and choose to retain data.
    3. Uninstall Powershell.

Since you've backed up database and chosen to retain data so your database and replica volumes are not lost.

After reimaging OS to Windows 2008 do the following:

1. Ensure all the disks containing DPM replica volumes are online.
    2. Reinstall DPM.
    3. Restore the DPM database.

See the details of each step in http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd637098.aspx

So, now you've the exact DPM server as before rebuilt on Windows server 2008.

-- Thanks Venkata Praveen[MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, July 27, 2010 9:15 AM
  • Hi GE666,

I am in the same situation as you, I cannot upgrade my sever to 2008 and will need to rebuild.

Have you had a chance to try Venkta's method above and if so how did it go ?

Thanks

Mick

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 5:13 AM
  • Hi,

To clarify, migrate the existing server (DPM 2007) to the new hardware:

How to Migrate a DPM Server to New Hardware - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb808989.aspx

Then upgrade the installation on the 64 bit hardware to DPM 2010 using steps given in earlie posts / upgrade advisor. Please ensure that the version of DPM 2007 is at least 2.0.8861.0 before you upgrade.

Critical points:

1. Ensure that the version numbers of the old server & new server are exactly the same

2. The DPM disks are migrated to the new server

BEFORE you run the dpmbackup & dpmsync on the new server.

Regards, Rajeev Narshana [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Tuesday, August 3, 2010 2:51 PM