Outlook Default Permission RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

What is outlook default permission? Why is it required? can I remove default permission from outlook? 

In my organization, users grant permission on their outlook folders to other users. I want to restrict users from granting permissions to other users. how can I achieve the same? can I apply GPO to restrict permissions? 

In doing so, I don't want users to lose functionality of adding delegates on a calendar, etc. 

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Many Thanks.

Sunday, September 3, 2017 6:53 PM

Answers

• Hi Jinagouda,

Based on my test, we may try to restrict the permission tab without affecting delegates' permissions using the following Group policy: 

1. Expand Microsoft Office Outlook 20XX > Account Settings.
    2. Click on Exchange, double click on Do not allow users to change permissions on folders item.
    3. Click on Enabled which will disable the end-user to change permissions (gray out):

This policy setting prevents users from changing their mail folder permissions. If you enable this policy setting, Outlook users cannot change permissions on folders; the settings on the Permissions tab are disabled. But enabling this policy setting does not affect existing permissions. This GPO won't affect the delegate's permission granted via Account Settings > Delegate Access.

Hope the above information can be helpful.

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 6, 2017 9:35 AM

All replies

• Hi there,

The default permission is same as Everyone in NTFS.
    This is the permissions you give to anyone in your Exchange organization.
    If 'Default' is 'Editor', anyone can create calendar items in your mailbox for example.

It isn't some kind of template permission, so changing this won't help you in this case.

Being very clear on this one, it is simply not possible to restrict a owner from setting permissions within his own mailbox.

• Edited by AntoonBouw Sunday, September 3, 2017 8:20 PM
    • Proposed as answer by AntoonBouw Sunday, September 3, 2017 8:29 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Jinagouda Kalchimad Tuesday, September 19, 2017 7:03 PM
    Sunday, September 3, 2017 8:18 PM
  • Hi Jinagouda,

Based on my test, we may try to restrict the permission tab without affecting delegates' permissions using the following Group policy: 

1. Expand Microsoft Office Outlook 20XX > Account Settings.
    2. Click on Exchange, double click on Do not allow users to change permissions on folders item.
    3. Click on Enabled which will disable the end-user to change permissions (gray out):

This policy setting prevents users from changing their mail folder permissions. If you enable this policy setting, Outlook users cannot change permissions on folders; the settings on the Permissions tab are disabled. But enabling this policy setting does not affect existing permissions. This GPO won't affect the delegate's permission granted via Account Settings > Delegate Access.

Hope the above information can be helpful.

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 6, 2017 9:35 AM
  • Thank you so much. I shall try the above suggestion and come back in case of any concerns. 

Tuesday, September 19, 2017 7:06 PM
  • Hi Jinagouda,

You're welcome :)

Please feel free to post back if you need further assistance on this.

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Wednesday, September 20, 2017 1:53 AM