WSUS Hard drive issues RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I run wsus on a 2012 server it supports 40 clients I have all the right boxes checked for the updates I need I have windows server 2008 and 2012 Microsoft office 2013 and windows 7,8,10. I have the wsus server set up on a 200gb vhd and that vhd is totally full only have 1mb free <g class="gr_ gr_1800 gr-alert gr_spell ContextualSpelling" data-gr-id="1800" id="1800">live</g> declined as many supersedence updates as I could and then ran cleanup wizard. about 2 hours later the 25gb I got freed up was full again. I'm out of ideas on what to do if anyone has any suggestions that would be great. on another note, I don't know if it will help or not but I've noticed when I select all updates the wsus server will hang for about 15mins then just crash so there might be a ton of supersedence updates in the all updates folder but I can't get to them.
    Tuesday, April 5, 2016 3:55 PM

Answers

• it depends on the amount and selections you make while setting up WSUS, as in; are you supporting multiple languages? are you supporting XP/vista/7/8/8.1/10? are you supporting driver updates? are you supporting office products SQL/Office...

are you using SQL DB or microsoft local DB?

are you preforming the monthly shrink of the DB?

• Proposed as answer by Steven_Lee0510 Monday, April 11, 2016 2:34 PM
    • Marked as answer by Hello_2018 Thursday, April 14, 2016 2:55 AM
    Friday, April 8, 2016 4:54 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please decline unused updates manually and run the server cleanup wizard to remove the update files.

If it can't free the enough space, you may try to reset the WSUS server :

http://blogs.technet.com/b/gborger/archive/2009/02/27/what-to-do-when-your-wsuscontent-folder-grows-too-large.aspx

Best Regards,

Steven Lee Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 6, 2016 10:01 AM
  • Hi,

so I did the steps that you gave me I both looked over what's being installed and what not so after that I reset the wsus server and it went all fine and dandy but I came in this morning and my 200gb hard drive is completely full. I'm all out of ideas.

-chris

Friday, April 8, 2016 1:13 PM
  • 200gb vhd . . . . . .

Expand the HDD.

Friday, April 8, 2016 1:16 PM
  • yes 200gb vhd. I'm trying to lower the amount of space its taken up. Why would i expand the drive for it to get bigger.
    Friday, April 8, 2016 1:20 PM
  • because you are running out of space..... expand the drive.
    Friday, April 8, 2016 1:25 PM
  • shouldn't the updates get deleted after they are installed on all the computers? cause apparently I have 63,000 updates only 400 of them need to be installed.
    Friday, April 8, 2016 2:46 PM
  • no. think about it, you update all your computers, delete all updates..... then add another computer to your domain......what good would deleting them do?
    Friday, April 8, 2016 2:49 PM
  • okay so its normal to have this much space getting taken up? cause when i was reading the forms people had wsus servers that are only 20-80gb i thought 200gb was plenty.
    Friday, April 8, 2016 2:53 PM
  • it depends on the amount and selections you make while setting up WSUS, as in; are you supporting multiple languages? are you supporting XP/vista/7/8/8.1/10? are you supporting driver updates? are you supporting office products SQL/Office...

are you using SQL DB or microsoft local DB?

are you preforming the monthly shrink of the DB?

• Proposed as answer by Steven_Lee0510 Monday, April 11, 2016 2:34 PM
    • Marked as answer by Hello_2018 Thursday, April 14, 2016 2:55 AM
    Friday, April 8, 2016 4:54 PM
  • Hi,

When we approve an update to install, WSUS server will download it into the local store.

If the disk space is still not sufficient after a reset, you may approve too many updates.

Please try to remove some approvals or expand the disk space.

Best Regards,

Steven Lee Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 11, 2016 2:38 PM