Black (Blank) Screen After Boot RRS feed

• Question

• So I have been using Windows 7 RC for over a month now, and yesterday, after a reboot, Windows 7 booted up to a black screen, with only a movable cursor. Nothing else happens for over 2 hours. Not even Ctrl Alt Delete works. I've also tried startup repair, last know good configuration, safe mode, safe mode with networking. They all get the same results: Windows 7 booting up to a black screen with only the cursor and nothing else...
    Please help, I've already tried everything I found around the internet!
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 9:42 PM

Answers

• Can you boot the computer by Windows 7 installation DVD and do a system repair?

Thanks.
    I've already tried that, it says it didn't find any errors...
    Have you tried an "inplace upgrade"?

If you would like to perform the In-place Upgrade, let’s refer to the following steps.

1. Start the computer by using the current (W7)Operating System.

2. Insert the Windows 7 RC DVD in the computer's DVD drive.

3. Use one of the following procedures, as appropriate:

• If Windows automatically detects the DVD, the Install now screen appears. Click Install now.

• If Windows does not automatically detect the DVD, follow these steps:

a. Click Start, click Run, type Drive:\setup.exe, and then click OK.

Note Drive is the drive letter of the computer's DVD drive.

b. Click Install now.

4. When you reach the "Which type of installation do you want?" screen, click Upgrade to upgrade the current operating system to Windows 7.

Of course do the usual backups.  But it shouldn't affect your files.

Good Luck!

Micrometeor
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 6:37 PM

All replies

• Care to share where you downloaded win 7 RC from? Try doing a repair of windows 7 by following the step as follow
    Friday, August 14, 2009 12:29 AM
    Answerer
  • I downloaded it from:

And how can I follow those instructions if I can't even boot my 7 installation?
    Friday, August 14, 2009 3:41 PM
  • Can you boot the computer by Windows 7 installation DVD and do a system repair?

Thanks.
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 3:47 AM

Thanks.
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 1:38 PM

Thanks.
    Have you tried an "inplace upgrade"?

If you would like to perform the In-place Upgrade, let’s refer to the following steps.

2. Insert the Windows 7 RC DVD in the computer's DVD drive.

3. Use one of the following procedures, as appropriate:

• If Windows automatically detects the DVD, the Install now screen appears. Click Install now.

• If Windows does not automatically detect the DVD, follow these steps:

a. Click Start, click Run, type Drive:\setup.exe, and then click OK.

Note Drive is the drive letter of the computer's DVD drive.

b. Click Install now.

4. When you reach the "Which type of installation do you want?" screen, click Upgrade to upgrade the current operating system to Windows 7.

Of course do the usual backups.  But it shouldn't affect your files.

Good Luck!

Micrometeor
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 6:37 PM
  • Have you tried an "inplace upgrade"?

I have the same issue with a Win 7 32 bit installation. Worked fine for a while. I've posted my steps on another list which hasn't produced a solution yet.

One suggestion was the inplace upgrade. That is fine except for the first step. All I can get to is a command prompt. Can't do the inplace upgrade unless I can get into Win 7. Or, is there another way to do this from C:\> or D:\> (DVD drive)??
    Friday, September 25, 2009 2:26 AM
  • I've managed to fix my system by overwriting my registry files (windows\system32\config) with the ones on the folder windows\system32\config\regback ...
    Friday, September 25, 2009 2:29 PM
  • Did you actually replace the registry or copy the files (five of them I see) from \system32\config\regback to \system32\config?
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 2:36 PM
  • I copied all of the files within \config\regback into \config, replacing them all...
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 2:46 PM
  • Will give that a try after backing up the current Config file. Thanks for the info.
    Thursday, October 1, 2009 2:51 PM
  • Did not work. Don't believe a direct copy of the files works unless there are some changes in the registry. There is a way to do this under XP which I've performed before but been a while and will have to look up the steps I took. Worked to resurrect a dead machine.  Not sure if the same procedure will work in Win 7.
    Monday, October 5, 2009 3:28 AM