none
How could I debug custom extesion DLL in MIIS ? RRS feed

• Question

• We have custom extension DLL code made by third party vendor.

If I try to debug custom extension DLL how could I do that ?

I mean how could I import and sync and see the Csenty,MVentry ,etc values in VisualStudio step by step excution.

Monday, September 24, 2012 6:32 PM

Answers

• First - Open the project in Visual Studio and set breakpoints at the location you want to start debugging at

Second - Use the "tools - attach to process" option in VS and attach to MIISSERVER.EXE

When your code gets called, it will stop at your breakpoint and you can step through your code from there.

Frank C. Drewes III - Architect - Oxford Computer Group

Monday, September 24, 2012 9:04 PM
  • In addition to what Frank has explained, also remember that the code must run in process with MIIServer.exe, so ensure that you have"Run this management agent in a seperate process" unselected in the properties of the MA (1st page of properties on the bottom) under Architecture 

As below

You can revert it to to a seperate process once your testing is completed.

Visit My Blog: http://theidentityguy.blogspot.com/

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 1:36 AM

All replies

• First - Open the project in Visual Studio and set breakpoints at the location you want to start debugging at

Second - Use the "tools - attach to process" option in VS and attach to MIISSERVER.EXE

When your code gets called, it will stop at your breakpoint and you can step through your code from there.

Monday, September 24, 2012 9:04 PM
  • In addition to what Frank has explained, also remember that the code must run in process with MIIServer.exe, so ensure that you have"Run this management agent in a seperate process" unselected in the properties of the MA (1st page of properties on the bottom) under Architecture 

As below

You can revert it to to a seperate process once your testing is completed.

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 1:36 AM
  • Does this work in Visual Studio 2010? I read somewhere that 2010 wasn't supported and we're having the problem described above
    Tuesday, October 16, 2012 11:49 PM
  • I've used Visual Studio debugger with ILM without any issues.

To expand on the note about running in a seperate process. You can add a 'debugger.launch' command in your code if running out-of-process to allow you to attach your debugger that way.

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 1:02 AM
  • I've used Visual Studio debugger with ILM without any issues.

To expand on the note about running in a seperate process. You can add a 'debugger.launch' command in your code if running out-of-process to allow you to attach your debugger that way.

Frank is absolutely correct, I have also (and am still using ) used visual studio 2010 without any issues.

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 1:26 AM