Which Windows system do I need for CAD 2004 and Adobe CS5 to work? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm buying a new computer and have CAD 2004, Adobe CS5 and the latest version of Microsoft Office to work on it.  It looks like the computer comes with Windows 7 Professional but I know there are issues with using the 64-bit vs 34-bit for CAD 2004.  Which Windows system should I get so that my old and new software will work seamlessly?

Thanks

Friday, October 14, 2011 5:11 PM

Answers

• Do you mean AutoCAD 2004?

I'm not an AutoCAD user. From the Microsoft compatibility site:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/Details.aspx?type=Software&p=Autodesk%20AutoCAD%202004&v=Autodesk&uid=16&l=en&pf=0&pi=1&s=autocad&os=64-bit

it looks like Autodesk wants to sell you a compatible version. There appears to be no upgrade pricing from a version of Autocad that old.

You could consider XP Mode, which is a real XP copy running in a virtual machine under Windows 7. It's available as a free download if you have Win7 Pro or Ultimate. Using a virtual machine may not give you the ultimate in performance, but it might save you from having to buy a new copy of AutoCAD.

It's also possible that AutoCAD 2004 will install and run on Win7 X64, although you'll get no official support to do that. Win7 X64 runs lots of 32 bit software well. X64 is pretty much required if the PC has more than 4GB of RAM. Feeling lucky?

• Edited by bobkn Friday, October 14, 2011 6:48 PM
    • Marked as answer by Niki Han Tuesday, October 18, 2011 8:46 AM
    Friday, October 14, 2011 6:46 PM