none
urlmon.dll missing RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi I have a Windows 2008 R2 server that is displaying the error the ordinal 459 could not be located in the dynamic link library urlmon.dll.

    I have looked through the threads and have tried various suggestions however I am still seeing the error on some of my applications.

    Also when I open internet explorer it just displays a white page.

    When looking to uninstall / reinstall it does not display in control pannel - programs and features in the programs or in the installed updates.

    When I try to install IE9 (from downloading from laptop and transfering onto server) it will start and say it is installing and then it says Internet Explorer did not finish installing  - see the trouble shooter (a web link that I can not open!)

    I can see the urlmon.dll file is in my windows/system32 file path.

    Has anyone had this issue and is there a solution for this?

    Thanks,

    Anne

    Tuesday, July 8, 2014 7:17 AM

Answers

  • Hi Anne,

    Urlmon.dll is an system component and multiple applications require it to implement URL Moniker.

    Please try to re-register this file.

    1.Click Start, and then click Run.
     
    2.Type regsvr32 urlmon.dll, and then click OK.

    If it doesn't help, run sfc /scannow and repair or reinstall Internet Explorer to fix it.


    Karen Hu
    TechNet Community Support

    Wednesday, July 9, 2014 6:38 AM
    Moderator

All replies

  • I can see the urlmon.dll file is in my windows/system32 file path.

    What version?  Tip:  you can use  msinfo32.exe for its Loaded Modules list to get that.

    However, I just checked mine using DependencyWalker and there is no Ordinal 459 in it, so perhaps the problem is your caller?  Do you get any indication of who the caller is?  E.g. in Event log?  If not you could use  DependencyWalker  for its Profiler  feature to find out. 

    Doing the latter may help you understand your other symptoms too.  FWIW they all sound like interference from a security package or other installed programs.  Try booting in safe mode and test in that environment to try to avoid that cause.

    While you're having problems with IE you would have to use other programs (perhaps even other computers) instead.

    HTH



    Robert Aldwinckle
    ---


    Tuesday, July 8, 2014 1:26 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi Anne,

    Urlmon.dll is an system component and multiple applications require it to implement URL Moniker.

    Please try to re-register this file.

    1.Click Start, and then click Run.
     
    2.Type regsvr32 urlmon.dll, and then click OK.

    If it doesn't help, run sfc /scannow and repair or reinstall Internet Explorer to fix it.


    Karen Hu
    TechNet Community Support

    Wednesday, July 9, 2014 6:38 AM
    Moderator