backup problems RRS feed

• Question

•  

I am running Vista Ultimate and when I try to do a complete pc backup I get the error message "The semaphore timeout period has expired. (0x80070079) " Any ideas how to correct this so the backup feature is able to be used?

Friday, October 31, 2008 10:29 PM

Answers

• Hi,

When you receive semaphore timeout messages, the messages are usually the result of one of the following:

1.A heavy load on the server is causing processes to be delayed from releasing semaphores.

2.A process has crashed while holding a semaphore, causing other processes to block when trying to acquire the semaphore.

3.Deadly embrace, semaphore contention where two tasks are waiting on each other and neither task is able to break the loop. In the simplest case, thread A is trying to get a semaphore which is owned by B, while B is trying to get a different semaphore which is owned by A. More complex combinations are also possible: A wants a semaphore owned by B, who wants a semaphore owned by C, who wants a semaphore owned by A, etc.

4.If a process was to fail to set a semaphore during execution, another process dependent on the semaphore will be blocked awaiting the semaphore.

Given the situation, I have the following suggestions:

1.      Temporarily disable all the firewalls and anti-virus applications, then check the issue again.

2.      Take a clean boot to check if it is a software conflict problem.

For your convenience:

Clean Boot

=============================

1. Click Start, type "MSCONFIG" (without the quotations) in the Search Bar and Press "Enter" to start the System Configuration Utility.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

4. Restart the computer and test the issue.

Note: Clean Boot is a troubleshooting step. If some programs have been disabled, we can re-enable them later. If you see the System Configuration Utility, check the box of "Don't show this message" and then click "OK".

Please monitor the system in the Clean Boot environment. If the problem does not occur, it indicates that the problem is related to one application or service we have disabled. You may use the MSCONFIG tool again to re-enable the disabled item one by one to find out the culprit.

If the issue still persist, please confirm the following points:

1.      Are you using a network backup? Or a external drive backup?

2.      What size of files will lead to this error?

Thanks.

Monday, November 3, 2008 9:29 AM