Unable to display this Web Part. To troubleshoot the problem, open this Web page in a Windows SharePoint Services-compatible HTML editor RRS feed

• Question

•  

Dear All,

I am frequently getting following error message on aspx pages on my SharePoint 2007 environment

Unable to display this Web Part. To troubleshoot the problem, open this Web page in a Windows SharePoint Services-compatible HTML editor such as Microsoft Office SharePoint Designer. If the problem persists, contact your Web server administrator.

Upon refreshing and restarting the browser several times, this error message temporarily gone and everything becomes fine. But after some time same error message starts appearing again. Also I have noticed that this error message also appears while working with SharePoint Designer 2007.Any clues how to resolve this issue ? 

Any help in this regard will be greatly appreciated.

Muhammad Tariq khan
    Monday, September 12, 2011 1:00 PM

All replies

• Hi Muhammad,

Does this error exist from the beginning? If not, what have you done before the issue occur? And where does this issue occur?

If this error happens in a page where has large number of items in a list, you can try to reduce the number of items from the list and move some existing items to the new list.

Here are some articles about this issue:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/spdsupport/archive/2008/06/06/how-to-fix-error-unable-to-display-this-web-part-on-data-views-after-restoring-site-from-backup.aspx

http://webborg.blogspot.com/2007/08/resolving-to-display-this-web-part.html

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepointgeneral/thread/8bf19bd7-2014-4ab3-8d8e-d7b9d651ff17/

Thanks,

Pengyu Zhao

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 7:26 AM
  • Dear Pengyu Zhao,

Appreciate your response..

I am getting this error message from the last couple of months. Also I have not done / changed anything on the server machine. On my list there are at most 550 items in the list. Should I suppose to reduce them further ??

The page where this error message is appearing is simply an aspx page where data view of a list (550 items in this list) is deployed. This data view can easily been access by users. But strange this is that only for some users error message starts appearing "Unable to display this web-part..." Also I have checked even permissions (on list and aspx pages) for the users. Furthermore I have created new aspx pages and deployed the same list for testing but nothing happens.

Any further clues ??

Muhammad Tariq khan
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 10:45 AM
  • Hi Muhammad,

550 items in a list should be fine. Many reason could result in this error, if you didn't make any changes like restore, you can find some detail information after checking your log.

But if the list works fine after being deployed to new page, I think this also could be a selectable workaround.

Thanks,

pengyu Zhao

Thursday, September 15, 2011 8:25 AM
  • Dear Pengyu Zhao,

On newly created aspx page, error message appears but only for some users. Logically this error message should appear for all or for none (I mean to say there should be uniformity). As settings for all users are same. I am unable to find out why web-part behavior is different for different users. Though I have set same setting of permissions for all users.

P.S. ULS logs does't show me the error message displayed on the web page.

Regards

Muhammad Tariq khan

Friday, September 16, 2011 4:34 AM
  • This is an error within the webpart. The error message is actually little bit misleading, but actually it wants to tell you that there is an error within the webpart...
    For example I have seen that message in one of our solutions when custom web that displays data from db had incorrect SQL connection string.

In your case that looks as issue with rights. Probably the webpart is trying to do something with identity of users and “some users” do not have necessary right which result in web part error.

Friday, September 16, 2011 11:59 AM
  • Dear Tofig,

Appreciate your response...

I have checked permissions for all users. Even on giving "Full Control", users are experiencing the same error message.

Muhammad Tariq khan
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 4:33 AM
  • Hi All,

As I regenerated the problem (Unable to display this Web Part... ) from the faulty user. I experience following error message in the ULS logs...

Error while executing web part: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Invalid object name 't5_sco'
    . at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)     at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)     at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj)     at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj)     at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.ConsumeMetaData()     at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.get_MetaData()     at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.FinishExecuteReader(SqlDataReader ds, RunBehavior runBehavior, String resetOptionsString)     at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReaderTds(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, Boolean async)     at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method, DbAsyncResult result)     at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method)     at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior, String method)     at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Utilities.SqlSession.ExecuteReader(SqlCommand command, CommandBehavior behavior)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSqlClient.ExecuteQuery(Boolean& bSucceed)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequestInternalClass.GetListItemDataWithCallback(String bstrUrl, String bstrListName, String bstrViewName, String bstrViewXml, SAFEARRAYFLAGS fSafeArrayFlags, ISP2DSafeArrayWriter pSACallback, ISPDataCallback pPagingCallback, ISPDataCallback pSchemaCallback)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequest.GetListItemDataWithCallback(String bstrUrl, String bstrListName, String bstrViewName, String bstrViewXml, SAFEARRAYFLAGS fSafeArrayFlags, ISP2DSafeArrayWriter pSACallback, ISPDataCallback pPagingCallback, ISPDataCallback pSchemaCallback)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPListItemCollection.EnsureListItemsData()     at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPListItemCollection.get_Count()     at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebControls.SPDataSourceView.ConvertToIEnumerableWrappers(SPBaseCollection items, Int32 firstRow, Int32 rowCount, String[] fieldList)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebControls.SPDataSourceView.ExecuteSelect(DataSourceSelectArguments selectArguments)     at System.Web.UI.DataSourceView.Select(DataSourceSelectArguments arguments, DataSourceViewSelectCallback callback)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebControls.SingleDataSource.GetXPathNavigatorInternal()     at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebControls.SingleDataSource.GetXPathNavigator()     at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebControls.SingleDataSource.GetXPathNavigator(IDataSource datasource, Boolean originalData)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebPartPages.DataFormWebPart.GetXPathNavigator(String viewPath)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebPartPages.DataFormWebPart.PrepareAndPerformTransform()

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

What does this error message mean ?

Muhammad Tariq khan
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 7:16 AM
  • Dear All,

I have just checked that if a faulty user is made a part of " Site Collection Administrators " then error message (Unable to display this Web Part) stops appearing and problem gets resolved... Now at least I can say that this problem has some linkages with the permissions. But still I cannot rely on this solution as making a faulty user a part of Site Collection Administrators is a huge mistake and also a security concern.

What to do next ?

Thanks

Muhammad Tariq khan
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 8:13 AM
  • I am having the same problem, did anyone found the solution of this?
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 11:53 AM
  • Dear Muhammad Tariq khan,

I perceived this problem by sharepont designer 2010, when I try to create a new edit form to the list (Microsoft Shrepoint 2010 Fundation). Can you help what should I modify in the source code to work my form ?

thank

Thom

Tuesday, March 24, 2015 12:06 PM