How to set Folder security permission in server 2003 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, May i know how to set permission on the network share folder in windows server 2003 ?

Example i create and share public folder, inside public folder separate by  department folder which is allow user  to edit and copy file. But how to set the security which is not allow user to change the department folder and such as rename or delete folder? kindly advise, thank you. 

Example as below

Share Public folder -> department folder(not allow user rename and deleted) -> inside department folder(allow user edit file or create new file )

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 7:45 AM

Answers

• Hi,

for the Public folder I will give Browse rights...

Apply to: This folder only

Select the following->

Traverse folder /execute file

List folder/read data

Read attributes

Read extended attributes

Read permissions

Public everone get Browse rights... and under Public there a departments like IT, Facility...

On there Porsitions IT Facility etc you give rights like metion in the previous post.

Kind regards,

Tim
    MCITP, MCTS
    http://directoryadmin.blogspot.com

This posting is provided 'AS IS' with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

"If this thread answered your question, please click on "Mark as Answer"

• Marked as answer by Caulson Friday, November 16, 2012 5:02 AM
    Wednesday, November 7, 2012 9:50 AM
  • Hi,

in properties, go to "Security" and click "Advanced". Click on "change permissions..." and now add you "group/object".

Change "Apply to" to "this folder only" and select all apart from:

Full control,Delete,change permissions and take ownership(so the user can´t take the ownership, is also important I think).

Save settings

Now add the "group/object" and change "apply to" to "subfolders and files only".

Select all apart from Full Control, Change Permissons and Take Ownership.

I hope I understand you right. You can choose there the options you want to apply... I think there are easy to set up.

Kind regards,

Tim
    MCITP, MCTS

This posting is provided 'AS IS' with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 8:22 AM

All replies

• Hi,

in properties, go to "Security" and click "Advanced". Click on "change permissions..." and now add you "group/object".

Change "Apply to" to "this folder only" and select all apart from:

Full control,Delete,change permissions and take ownership(so the user can´t take the ownership, is also important I think).

Save settings

Now add the "group/object" and change "apply to" to "subfolders and files only".

Select all apart from Full Control, Change Permissons and Take Ownership.

I hope I understand you right. You can choose there the options you want to apply... I think there are easy to set up.

Kind regards,

Tim
    MCITP, MCTS

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 8:22 AM
  • HI, thank you for reply , 

Can u show me more details ?  is it means in public folder is access full control ? for the department folder just read only permission ?

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 8:26 AM
  • Hi,

for the Public folder I will give Browse rights...

Apply to: This folder only

Select the following->

Traverse folder /execute file

List folder/read data

Read attributes

Read extended attributes

Read permissions

Public everone get Browse rights... and under Public there a departments like IT, Facility...

On there Porsitions IT Facility etc you give rights like metion in the previous post.

Kind regards,

Tim
    MCITP, MCTS

• Marked as answer by Caulson Friday, November 16, 2012 5:02 AM
    Wednesday, November 7, 2012 9:50 AM