none
Strange NDR when emailing external users - Exchange 2010 RRS feed

  • Question

  • Recently users have been complaining that when they try to send an email to an external person they receive the NDR below. I have done multiple Google searches on that error which brings up all kinds of posts but nothing quite like my situation. First I found it weird that there is no generating server name. When the user restarts outlook the messages will then send out fine. This happens to random users on random database servers. 

    I believe this started happening when we implemented our new F5 load balancers on our CAS boxes. It almost seems as though outlook is loosing connection and doesn't know it until you send an email. But, why only external users? When a user is being affected they can still email to internal users just fine. We use outlook 2007 with OCS 2007 R2

    Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

          Subject:    RE: QA02

          Sent: 5/9/2012 8:54 AM

    The following recipient(s) cannot be reached:

          'email@domain.com' on 5/9/2012 8:54 AM

                This message could not be sent. Try sending the message again later, or contact your network administrator.  Error is [0x80004005-00000000-00000000].

    Wednesday, May 9, 2012 6:08 PM

All replies

  • No.

    Here is some more info. I had a user with the problem, they were running outlook 2007. I log into the users account with outlook 2010 and was able to send email fine, the user at the same time tried to email out of their outlook 2007 and got the NDR.

    Wednesday, May 9, 2012 8:45 PM
  • No.

    Here is some more info. I had a user with the problem, they were running outlook 2007. I log into the users account with outlook 2010 and was able to send email fine, the user at the same time tried to email out of their outlook 2007 and got the NDR.

    Invalid Cached Entry or corrupt .ost

    Delete the autocompleted entry and try again and close Outlook, delete the .ost and re-open to recreate it

    If the User is in the GAL, delete the *.oab files on the workstation and download the OAB again.

    Wednesday, May 9, 2012 8:48 PM
    Moderator
  • Hi,

    Please try to send the message via OWA to verify if it is a outlook realted issue.

    Please test the issue on the user machine and working machine.

    Please test the issue outside the corp network.

    Besides, please run ExBPA to have a health scan.

    By the way, how many CAS servers in the network?


    Xiu Zhang

    TechNet Community Support

    Friday, May 11, 2012 3:06 AM
  • Any update?

    Xiu Zhang

    TechNet Community Support

    Tuesday, May 15, 2012 6:45 AM
  • Deleting the *.oab and *.ost fixed the issue for one user. 

    While the user was having issues I log into his email using a different computer and was able to send out just fine. What is weird is that we were only getting NDRs for external users, the user had no issue emailing within the company. I want to find another user with this issue and do some more testing. 

    Tuesday, May 15, 2012 4:34 PM
  • Had it happen again to another user. I went to their desk and had them try sending via OWA and it worked fine. This time I only had the user close out outlook and the OCS client, wait 15 second and re-open/try again and everything worked. What is strange is that when this happens the user can still send to internal users, just not external users.
    Friday, May 18, 2012 5:16 PM