none
Imaged computer not keeping same name as what is put in Wizard. RRS feed

• Question

•  I am working on a few things that arent working right now. I am going to ask only one question at a time and hope to not only get the answer I am looking for but that someone else is helped out as well.

I am using 2012 R2, WDS, and MDT to image computers.  PXE boot from network and ability to push the image across the network is working but there are a couple of things that I cant figure out.  For this post, I am wondering how to manually set the name.  When the MDT wizard comes up, it asks for computer name and domain ect but when the computer is finished, it boots up with the name that it got from the image computer.  I have seen how to get the computer to pick up computer generated names and things but what I want is to have the computer named the same as what I put in the wizard. 

Any information will be helpful. 

Thanks

• Edited by SFCWilson Thursday, October 29, 2015 7:39 PM TMFI
    Thursday, October 29, 2015 7:36 PM

Answers

• Are you saying every machine you build ends up with the final name as the Windows image you captured?  If that is the case then sysprep is likely the root issue.

Logs are very important. https://keithga.wordpress.com/2014/10/24/video-mdt-2013-log-files-basics-bdd-log-and-smsts-log/ Mention any customizations you have made.

Tuesday, November 3, 2015 7:37 PM
  • As much as I didnt want to believe that it was a sysprep issue, thats exactly what it was.  I ended up just going back to Windows source files and tried it, and it worked, created a basic wim file and it worked again.  This was mentioned earlier by Mr Glander and I was hoping that he was wrong but he wasnt. 

Thank you all for trying to help.

I THINK ANSWERED BY Mr. Glander (just in case you missed it) this one was answered.  The image was syspreped but forgot the generalize part of it so it kept getting the same name as before it was imaged.  Someone else was syspreping it and forgetting to click "Generalize"
    • Edited by SFCWilson Monday, November 23, 2015 10:05 PM Clarification of the issue.
    • Marked as answer by SFCWilson Monday, November 23, 2015 10:05 PM
    Wednesday, November 4, 2015 6:20 PM

All replies

• What is your target OS?

Also this sounds like an issue with the sysprep.

Logs are very important. If you are unsure how to post logs or where to find them then reference https://keithga.wordpress.com/2014/10/24/video-mdt-2013-log-files-basics-bdd-log-and-smsts-log/ Also if you have made customizations please mention them when asking for help.

Thursday, October 29, 2015 8:47 PM
  • Mr Glander,

I knew I would forget to include something in my question, sorry, target OS is Win7_x64

I will not disagree with you that it could be issue with sysprep, but if it were the sysprep, would it not error out or have other problems with the load?  After computer is imaged, its ended up with the sysprep images name as well all the particians I have gave it and everything seems to be working properly. 

Thank you

Thursday, October 29, 2015 8:59 PM
  • Not exactly.  If the ComputerName is already populated because it did not get removed by sysprep then it will just move on as a non fatal error.

If you deployed RTM windows 7 SP1 it or if the sysprep worked perfect it would take whatever name you gave it.

You might want to look at your Windows 7 that you capture and make sure that it is in a good state.  By that I mean does it have rearms left using 'slmgr.vbs /dlv'. 

Logs are very important. If you are unsure how to post logs or where to find them then reference https://keithga.wordpress.com/2014/10/24/video-mdt-2013-log-files-basics-bdd-log-and-smsts-log/ Also if you have made customizations please mention them when asking for help.

Thursday, October 29, 2015 9:05 PM
  • Mr Glander,

I looked through the log files and seen that Property OSDComputerName is now = Computername...  So i figured out why it changes that to its new name.  Is there a way to either have it change to the same name that is in wizard or even suppress that. 

One other question, I am also having an issue with it joining the domain, would this be a cause of it as well?  I have this computer prestaged in AD under one name but when it changes to OSDComputer, it doesnt match name.  Would this be part of my issue as well?

Monday, November 2, 2015 4:53 PM
  • If it already exists in AD with the same name and you don't have overwrite permissions it will just fail to join the domain. Can you post your BDD.log to some public sharing site like OneDrive?

Logs are very important. https://keithga.wordpress.com/2014/10/24/video-mdt-2013-log-files-basics-bdd-log-and-smsts-log/ Mention any customizations you have made.

Monday, November 2, 2015 6:24 PM
  • Never shared nothing from here before, let me know if this works

Https link:
    onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=2278541B62882AF3!127&authkey=!AK6VVrCJTds4_tw&ithint=folder%2clog

Monday, November 2, 2015 7:40 PM
  • It might have to do with this

------ Processing the [DEFAULT] section ------ ZTIGather 11/2/2015 12:30:33 PM 0 (0x0000)
    User exit "\\XNXNX-dpc-mwdt\ds$\Scripts\ZTIGrabOldCompName.vbs" called successfully, skip = False. ZTIGather 11/2/2015 12:30:33 PM 0 (0x0000)

What does you exit script do?

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

Monday, November 2, 2015 8:12 PM
  • Easier to show then to explain, but trying to get the name to stay the same, I added the vb script (below) to try and even capture the name of it prior to reimaging and see if I can keep the name that I want to join the domain as.  In the logs, it appears to have joined the domain but it didnt.    I can take it out and rerun the image if you want. 

Function UserExit(sType, sWhen, sDetail, bSkip)
     UserExit=Success
    End Function

Function fGrabOldCompName(sDefaultName)
     Dim sOldCompName, sLocalSWHiveFilePath
     oLogging.CreateEntry "UserExit:Pulling computername from local registry.", LogTypeInfo

If oFSO.FileExists("C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\system") Then
      sLocalSWHiveFilePath = "C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\system"
     ElseIf oFSO.FileExists("D:\WINDOWS\system32\config\system") Then
      sLocalSWHiveFilePath = "D:\WINDOWS\system32\config\system"
     ElseIf oFSO.FileExists("E:\WINDOWS\system32\config\system") Then
      sLocalSWHiveFilePath = "E:\WINDOWS\system32\config\system"
     Else
      sLocalSWHiveFilePath = "FALSE"
     End If
     oLogging.CreateEntry "UserExit:Local system hive location set to: " & sLocalSWHiveFilePath, LogTypeInfo

If sLocalSWHiveFilePath <> "FALSE" Then
      oShell.Run "reg load HKLM\sysimport " & sLocalSWHiveFilePath, 1, True
      sOldCompName = oShell.RegRead("HKLM\sysimport\ControlSet001\Control\ComputerName\ComputerName\ComputerName")
      oShell.Run "reg unload HKLM\sysimport", 1, True
      fGrabOldCompName = sOldCompName
      oLogging.CreateEntry "UserExit:Setting OSDComputerName variable to: " & sOldCompName, LogTypeInfo
     Else
      fGrabOldCompName = sDefaultName
      oLogging.CreateEntry "UserExit:Error locating old computername.  Setting computername to default value: " & sDefaultName, LogTypeError
     End If
    End Function

Monday, November 2, 2015 8:39 PM
  • If it already exists in AD with the same name and you don't have overwrite permissions it will just fail to join the domain. Can you post your BDD.log to some public sharing site like OneDrive?

The name being used, does it already exist in AD? Anyway if you want to be prompted to enter the computer name make sure you have

SkipComputerName=NO

in your customsettings.ini and make sure you don't have any scripts or tasks that will override that.

Monday, November 2, 2015 9:00 PM
  • Good call Dan.  If you force SkipComputerName=NO and the name is what you expect it to be there yet it doesn't deploy with that name then try disabling the call to your custom script.

Monday, November 2, 2015 9:21 PM
  • Yes, I have it prestaged in AD.  The first mention of where it changes the computer name in the logs is in ZTIDisk (see below).  I looked in the files and do not see a script called disk, so I am trying to figure what script/xml file does this come from.

CustomsSetting do have SkipComputerName=No because I dont have a preference if it is named in the wizard or if the script that I added gives it its name, I just dont need it to auto-populate a name or change it back.

New ZTIDisk : \\XNXNXB-AGMLDX64\root\cimv2:Win32_DiskDrive.DeviceID="\\\\.\\PHYSICALDRIVE0"]LOG]!><time="12:00:23.000+000" date="11-02-2015" component="LiteTouch" context="" type="1" thread="" file="LiteTouch">
    <![LOG[New ZTIDiskPartition : \\XNXNXB-AGMLDX64\root\cimv2:Win32_DiskPartition.DeviceID="Disk #0, Partition #1"    \\XNXNXB-AGMLDX64\root\cimv2:Win32_LogicalDisk.DeviceID="C:"]LOG]!><time="12:00:23.000+000" date="11-02-2015" component="LiteTouch" context="" type="1" thread="" file="LiteTouch">
    <![LOG[New ZTIDisk : \\XNXNXB-AGMLDX64\root\cimv2:Win32_DiskDrive.DeviceID="\\\\.\\PHYSICALDRIVE0"]LOG]!><time="12:00:23.000+000" date="11-02-2015" component="LiteTouch" context="" type="1" thread="" file="LiteTouch">
    <![LOG[New ZTIDiskPartition : \\XNXNXB-AGMLDX64\root\cimv2:Win32_DiskPartition.DeviceID="Disk #0, Partition #2"    \\XNXNXB-AGMLDX64\root\cimv2:Win32_LogicalDisk.DeviceID="D:"]LOG]!><time="12:00:23.000+000" date="11-02-2015" component="LiteTouch" context="" type="1" thread="" file="LiteTouch">
    <![LOG[New ZTIDisk : \\XNXNXB-AGMLDX64\root\cimv2:Win32_DiskDrive.DeviceID="\\\\.\\PHYSICALDRIVE0"]LOG]!><time="12:00:23.000+000" date="11-02-2015" component="LiteTouch" context="" type="1" thread="" file="LiteTouch">
    <![LOG[New ZTIDiskPartition : \\XNXNXB-AGMLDX64\root\cimv2:Win32_DiskPartition.DeviceID="Disk #0, Partition #3"    \\XNXNXB-AGMLDX64\root\cimv2:Win32_LogicalDisk.DeviceID="E:"]LOG]!><time="12:00:23.000+000" date="11-02-2015" component="LiteTouch" context="" type="1" thread="" file="LiteTouch">
    <![LOG[New ZTIDisk : \\XNXNXB-AGMLDX64\root\cimv2:Win32_DiskDrive.DeviceID="\\\\.\\PHYSICALDRIVE0"]LOG]!><time="12:00:24.000+000" date="11-02-2015" component="LiteTouch" context="" type="1" thread="" file="LiteTouch">

Monday, November 2, 2015 9:45 PM
  • Maybe I don't understand the actual question.  I thought you were saying what you enter in the LTI wizard is not the name the final installed OS ends up with.

Then you have ZTIGrabOldCompName.vbs

So you have a custom script that tries to read the registry value for computer name.  If it finds that value it sets should set OSDComputername to sOldCompName.  However I don't see anything that sets OSDComputername in the script snippet.

Can you try eliminating the UserExit=ZTIGrabOldCompName.vbs ?

Monday, November 2, 2015 11:34 PM
  • You are correct in stating that the LTI wizard is not the name for the final installation computer.  I am at wits end trying everthing.  I have removed the VBS script and reuploaded new one.  I still am seeing that the ZTDisk is what it changes it to and I cant figure out why. 

Below is newest logs.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=2278541B62882AF3!127&authkey=!AK6VVrCJTds4_tw&ithint=folder%2clog

Tuesday, November 3, 2015 2:14 PM
  • So in your log, is this something you typed in or was this name not what you wanted?

Property OSDComputerName is now = COMPUTER-8BGAA789 

Tuesday, November 3, 2015 3:05 PM
  • In the Wizard, I wanted it to be COMPUTER-8BGAA789.  It runs through with that name until it gets the the ZT1Disk where it changes the name to COMPUTER-AGMLDX64 and I am attempting to figure out how to keep the COMPUTER-8BGAA789.  I do not want it renamed.

Tuesday, November 3, 2015 3:36 PM
  • I'm confused why do you think ZTIDISK is renaming the computer, that function is what cleans, partitions, formats drives. Your log shows that the last ZTIDISK entries are for the right computer name.

I'm more concerned with your other errors, such as.

FAILURE (Err): 76: Copy File: \\deployment-mwdt\ds$\Tools\x64\Microsoft.BDD.Utility.dll to C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\Tools\x64\ - Path not found	LiteTouch	11/3/2015 1:46:59 AM	0 (0x0000)
    FAILURE (Err): -2147024770  0x8007007E: CreateObject(Microsoft.BDD.Utility) -	LiteTouch	11/3/2015 1:46:59 AM	0 (0x0000)

Tuesday, November 3, 2015 4:17 PM
  • The only reason is because if you look through logs, computer says 8BGAA789 then when you see ZDisk it has name changed to Computer-AGMLD64.  I understand why your seeing the error but not sure how to fix it. 

This (temp) file is locked down by policy on our network so I can only assume when the load was put on there that it locks it down by image.  Is there a way I can change where that temp file is loaded.

Tuesday, November 3, 2015 4:45 PM
  • Something happens before ZTIDisk but, after the Wizard that is changing this.  Where is your special step located in your task sequence?

Tuesday, November 3, 2015 6:49 PM
  • special step?  I dont believe I have a Special Step.

Tuesday, November 3, 2015 7:03 PM
  • Oh sorry I guess I wasn't very specific.  The step that runs your script that reads the name from the registry.

Tuesday, November 3, 2015 7:04 PM
  • Oh, ok, that was taken out, it wasnt in the task, it was a pointer in customsettings.ini that pointed to the VBS script. 
    Tuesday, November 3, 2015 7:08 PM
  • Well according to your latest log, at 2:12:12 AM the Computer name is set to COMPUTER-8BGAA789

Towards the end of the log, the name is still there.

New ZTIDisk : \\COMPUTER-AGMLDX64\root\cimv2:Win32_DiskDrive.DeviceID="\\\\.\\PHYSICALDRIVE0"	LiteTouch	11/3/2015 1:54:28 AM	0 (0x0000)

You have to understand at the beginning the machine is given a temporary name

Property HostName is now = MININT-L4G2FJE	ZTIGather	11/3/2015 2:11:32 AM	0 (0x0000)

That temporary name will stick until Windows is installed and the unattend file is processed with the updated name.

Tuesday, November 3, 2015 7:19 PM
  • Thats what I am trying to change, I dont want the ZTIDisk to change the name back to the image name.  I dont know where to change that.  Once I go through wizard and make it 8bgaa789, i dont want it to revert back to same name as image file

Tuesday, November 3, 2015 7:26 PM
  • Are you saying every machine you build ends up with the final name as the Windows image you captured?  If that is the case then sysprep is likely the root issue.

Tuesday, November 3, 2015 7:37 PM
  • As much as I didnt want to believe that it was a sysprep issue, thats exactly what it was.  I ended up just going back to Windows source files and tried it, and it worked, created a basic wim file and it worked again.  This was mentioned earlier by Mr Glander and I was hoping that he was wrong but he wasnt. 

Thank you all for trying to help.

I THINK ANSWERED BY Mr. Glander (just in case you missed it) this one was answered.  The image was syspreped but forgot the generalize part of it so it kept getting the same name as before it was imaged.  Someone else was syspreping it and forgetting to click "Generalize"
    • Edited by SFCWilson Monday, November 23, 2015 10:05 PM Clarification of the issue.
    • Marked as answer by SFCWilson Monday, November 23, 2015 10:05 PM
    Wednesday, November 4, 2015 6:20 PM