locked
Win7 Ult X64 Reports Wrong CPU speed RRS feed

  • General discussion

  • I have found that when I select a multiplier of X8 instead of X9 for my CPU that Win7 Ult x64 sp1 will report my CPU speed to be 3.6 GHz instead of the 3.2Ghz it is really set at. 1600FSB = CPU of 400MHz x 8 or 3200 for CPU speed. This means to me that WIN& does not look at anything at all to determine CPU speed except some unrealistic expectation. MS should take a lesson in properly determining CPU speed and include that in future service packs or updates .

    This Gigabyte motherboard will select many different multipliers x6 to x9 so the program should read it from the BIOS or test it with a small Assembly routine designed to test the CPU speed.

    Third party programs like Memtest86+ gets this number right every time.

    Just want to let you guys know.

    • Changed type Leo Huang Friday, July 27, 2012 5:50 AM
    Sunday, July 8, 2012 12:14 AM

All replies

  • I have this problem too and I found that this varies from motherboards to motherboards. For example, I have an Asus M4A88TD M-EVO/USB3 motherboard. I have got an AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition CPU. When I overclock it by just increasing the multiplier, Windows reports correct speed. e.g. 200*18.5=3700 MHz Windows reports 3.7 GHz(stock 3.2). But when I increase the frequency through the base clock, windows just assumes that the BCLK is 200 MHz and just shows the speed based on the multiplier. For my friend's Asus M4A88T-M motherboard, the thing is just the reverse. So I have to check it by CPU-Z software every time I overclock.
    Monday, July 9, 2012 8:21 PM
  • Hi,


    Thank you for your feedback, you can submit this issue via Windows 7 Feedback.


    Regards


    Vincent Wang

    TechNet Community Support

    Tuesday, July 10, 2012 6:07 AM
  • This issue still exists in the most up-to-date version of Windows 8.1.

    Given that older versions of 3rd-party software such as CPU-Z read this value correctly, in real-time, it seems like it would be a simple issue to fix.

    Phenom II 965 user here. Please give us a patch that pulls the value of max cpu speed from wherever the aforementioned 3rd-party programs do, if it is viable to do so.

    Regedit, here I come.

    Thursday, March 27, 2014 5:56 PM