Vista Taskbar & TaskManager Problems RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having trouble with my taskbar and my task manager. I can't open the task manager, I've tried ctrl+alt+delete and right clicking the taskbar and selecting it, and finally opening taskmgr.exe from the system32 folder.

This first time I tried it just made the icon appear in the bottom right of the taskbar, if I tried to open twice there would be two icons. I restarted my computer, and tried to open taskmanager again, it showed the icon again, however the green part (CPU?) is going up and down rapidly.

Also, I have had a couple of problems with the taskbar, one is that sometimes I need to double click on something to bring it to front. Another problem is if I right click on an icon in the bottom right of taskbar, the options appear,  but if I choose not to click something and click on the desktop the box just stays there until I choose something. One last problem is quite similiar to the last, but I right clicked on the task manager icon and it just brought up a white box to the top-left of it, and it just remains there.

I have considered the obvious posibility that it was a virus, however Norton AV did find any. I just downloaded TrojanHunter to make sure I don't have any trojan's, so far so good. As far as I know my Norton AV also protects from spyware, so that shouldn't be a problem. And I've been updating Norton regularly.  

Please, any help would be appreciated.

Edit:  The taskmanager icon shows the green bar going up and down, but the CPU is staying the same.

Thursday, May 24, 2007 1:42 AM

Answers

• Ok, turns out that the problem was a trojan. Did a scan and found two of them and I removed them immediately. After restarting my computer it works just fine now.
    Thursday, May 24, 2007 2:35 AM