Sharing a room mailbox's calendar (Exchange 2007) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We have Ex 2007 with Outlook 2003 clients. I have created conference rooms using the 2007 room mailbox feature. Our users would like to be able to view the conference room calendars. Is there a way to share the room mailbox calendars? The calendars have to be viewable in Outlook 2003 as we have disabled OWA for our hourly users for legal reasons.

Thursday, July 19, 2007 3:43 PM

Answers

• The only difference between using Outlook2k7 and 2k3 for viewing purposes is that if you go to your calendar and want to see if the conference room is available or when it is busy is too create and appointment and add the conference room as an attendee instead of in 2k7 you actually have a separation between attendees and rooms. I think they should add equipment in its own section too but maybe in sp1. Hope that helps...
    Friday, July 20, 2007 1:43 AM

All replies

• The only difference between using Outlook2k7 and 2k3 for viewing purposes is that if you go to your calendar and want to see if the conference room is available or when it is busy is too create and appointment and add the conference room as an attendee instead of in 2k7 you actually have a separation between attendees and rooms. I think they should add equipment in its own section too but maybe in sp1. Hope that helps...
    Friday, July 20, 2007 1:43 AM
  • I am having the same issue.

I can go to schedule a meeting and can see the free/busy info.

But when I try and open the room mailbox as a shared calendar there is no information in it. There must be a way to view a meeting room's calendar.

I don't want to have to schedule a meeting every time I want to see what is booked for a room. 

Giving all users admin rights on the rooms is not an option by the way.

Any help would be appreciated.

Chris
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 2:14 PM
  • Yes I am in a similar boat. It is a right pain to have to have to pretend to create a meeting just to see the resource availability and also the view is very resticted.

There is the option, when in a calendar folder, of going to Actions and creating a Group Schedule with all your resources in but again the way the information is diaplayed is not overly friendly on the eye.

What my users want is a view of the room calendars that looks lke thiers or the old public ones with month view etc. This way they can just click on the clendar and wander about when on the phone discussing possible meeting dates without the rigmarole of pretendign to create a meeting or using a group schedule doodad.
    Friday, July 3, 2009 12:13 PM
  • Yes I am in a similar boat. It is a right pain to have to have to pretend to create a meeting just to see the resource availability and also the view is very resticted.

There is the option, when in a calendar folder, of going to Actions and creating a Group Schedule with all your resources in but again the way the information is diaplayed is not overly friendly on the eye.

What my users want is a view of the room calendars that looks lke thiers or the old public ones with month view etc. This way they can just click on the clendar and wander about when on the phone discussing possible meeting dates without the rigmarole of pretendign to create a meeting or using a group schedule doodad.
    What about giving those users "Read-Only" access directly to the resource's calendar? We've done that before and found it successful.

-Ben-
    OfficeForLawyers.com

Friday, July 3, 2009 6:15 PM
  • I'm in a similar situation.  I don't care about security: I could give full control right to everyone.  But how?  Where's this "read-only" access that everybody is talking about?
    Monday, October 5, 2009 12:47 PM
  • One method I have used to adjust permissions is by using an administrative account, you use Outlook to open the resource calendar and adjust the permissions there.
    Deanna McNeil
    Monday, October 12, 2009 9:02 PM
  • I think I have found a better solution (for Exchange admin), but maybe not so "better" for security's sack.  You don't have to use admin account and its Outlook; everything's done within Exchange Management Console.  Here are the steps:

1. Once the room mailbox is created, go back to Recipient Configuration -> Mailbox.  Select the room mailbox, then in Action pane, click "Manage Full Access Persmission"

2. Add the user or the group of users to whom this room mailbox's calendar is supposed to be shared.

3. Update "Offline Address Book" in Exchange Management console, and "Download Address Book" from your personal account's Outlook to accelerate things.  I'm not sure if this step is necessary, but I always do it.  Sometimes it's also necessary to wait for a few minutes first.  I suppose it's matter of synchronizing something between Exchange server and clients.

4. Now you could open room mailbox's shared calendar as any other shared calendars.
    • Proposed as answer by Horinius Wednesday, April 13, 2011 12:19 PM
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 6:54 PM
  • Hello

This configuration is ok but there is a problem that wichever usser can delete information of other usser, Are there any sollution for this problem?

Best regards
    • Proposed as answer by ninadm Friday, January 21, 2011 6:01 AM
    Monday, March 15, 2010 12:49 PM
  •  

Here is what I found.

I created resource mailbox (Room mailbox, equipment mailbox etc) to automatically accept the appointment requests. Calendar from these mail boxes can not be accessed via 'View Shared Calendar' by other users.

Reason behind this inaccessibility is that the user account belonging to these resource mailbox is disabled while you make them resource mailbox.

Simply got to sbs console (or active directory users and computers) and enable user account, give permission to other users to view calendar belonging to these resource mailboxes.

This way users can view calendar belonging to resource mailboxes. As well as these resource mailboxes will automatically accept appointments created by user.

That all folks. Your feedback will be highly appreciated.

Friday, January 21, 2011 6:20 AM
  • Hello,

to solve your problem,you need to configure outlook profile for that room mailbox and follow the below steps.

1.go to calendar properties click on PERMISSIONS tab

2.add the users or group to whom u want to give access

3.set the PERMISSION LEVEL to EDITOR

4. make one person as a OWNER of that mailbox

by doing this u can give read and write access to them and one user  cant delete other user information.

i hope by following this steps ,you can solve ur problem,

let me know your reply.

Regards ,

K.Sudarshan

KSN MCITP-EXCHANGE 2007|MCITP-2008|MCTS
    Friday, January 21, 2011 10:03 AM
  • The only right way to do this is by giving access through Exchange Management Console | Recipient Configuration | Mailbox.

Right click the resource mailbox and choose Manage Full Access Permission...

Add the group that should be allowed to use the calendar.

Then you have to use Exchange Management Shell to configure the resource.

Type:

Get-Help Set-MailboxCalendarSettings -full > description.txt [Enter]

This will give you a textfile with all the settings you need.

\kf\
    Wednesday, April 13, 2011 12:09 PM
  • Simply got to sbs console (or active directory users and computers) and enable user account, give permission to other users to view calendar belonging to these resource mailboxes.
    I don't think enabling user account is a good thing for resource calendars.
    Wednesday, April 13, 2011 12:21 PM
  • We see this issue on all newly created resources in E2K10.  We workaround the problem by

1. Enable the resource mailbox account in ADUC

2. Open the resource mailbox account in Outlook

3. Right click its calendar, choose Properties, Permissions, and change the "Default" perms from "Free/Busy time" to "Author"

4. Close outlook

5. Disable the resource mailbox account in ADUC

You can probably powershell the change buy finding right command to just change the Default Calendar permissions to Author.

• Proposed as answer by W i l l e m Wednesday, March 28, 2012 1:59 PM
    Thursday, July 14, 2011 11:58 AM
  • I've checked through the Help entry for Set-MailboxCalendarSettings and not found any parameter allowing me to do the same as when setting sharing permissions in Outlook Calendar.

My room mailbox was created in Exchange 2007 Console, and when I tried to enable it in AD I got an error message concerning the password. After resetting password in AD I was allowed to enable the account, log into the account, setting sharing permissions (read), log out, and then again disable the account. After that, users are allowed to view the calendar.

Full Access Permission will only be relevant if somebody should have the faculty to manage / change bookings manually - and with AutoAccept that will seldom (if ever) be needed.

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 10:59 AM