locked
The program can't start because api-ms-win-core-debug-l1-1-1.dll is missing RRS feed

  • Question

  • I was recently asked to convert several APP-V 4.6 sequences to APP-V 5.0 SP2 sequences.  On a development workstation, I ran the Test-AppvLegacyPackage command against the APP-V 4.6 sequences to detect potential issues.  Next, I ran the ConvertFrom- AppvLegacyPackage command to create the APPV file for the APP-V 5 sequence. 

    I added the converted APP-V 5 sequence in Configuration Manager 2012 R2 as an APP-V deployment type.  For testing, I installed the Configuration Manager 2012 client on a test VM, installed Windows Management Framework 3.0 for PowerShell 3.0 support, and finally the APP-V 5.0 SP2 client.  I created a deployment to the test VM and after it installed, I got the following error on most of the sequences that I converted: "The program can't start because api-ms-win-core-debug-l1-1-1.dll is missing from your computer.  try reinstalling the program to fix this problem".

    I have very little application virtualization experience at this point so I do not know how to troubleshoot this issue.  Any help is appreciated.

    Saturday, January 18, 2014 4:00 AM

Answers

  • Hello,

    I would identify the following;

    1. Which applications are receiving the error?

    2. How where they sequenced?

    3. Where is that file coming from?

    4. Why do these applications require the file?

    5. Why is that file now missing?

    After answering these questions, finding a way forward will most likely be easier


    Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

    Saturday, January 18, 2014 10:04 AM

All replies

  • Hello,

    I would identify the following;

    1. Which applications are receiving the error?

    2. How where they sequenced?

    3. Where is that file coming from?

    4. Why do these applications require the file?

    5. Why is that file now missing?

    After answering these questions, finding a way forward will most likely be easier


    Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

    Saturday, January 18, 2014 10:04 AM
  • Bob, were you able to resolve your issue with the troubleshooting steps provided by Znack?
    Friday, January 24, 2014 9:19 PM
    Moderator
  • I have the same issue, and your answer is very basic/general. I could use your 5 points to apply to any problem!
    Monday, September 11, 2017 2:28 AM
  • The first step is to look at the contents of your package and determine if the dll is actually inside your package.  The is a very real possibility that the dll was treated as an external dependency that was installed natively on the 4.x client machines (potentially delivered via imaging or SCCM). It is unlikely that this particular dll would be delivered via SCCM, but may have existed as part of your corporate image due to other software. 

    • If it is not in the package, you can open your package up for edit and add it, or just treat it as an external dependency as before.
    • If it is in the package, this is more likely a path issue.  The most straightforward solution is to drop a copy in the working directory of the app executable in the package.  The more "correct" solution would be to add an AppPath registration for the target executable that adds the folder containing the dll, but that is more difficule to explain here so just copy the dll where the app will find it. If you copy the dll, be sure to copy all others with a similar name that you find.

    Note: that dll is known to be part of "MinCore" , which is only supported on Windows 8/Server 2012 R2 and above. If you were testing on older OS's your issue has nothing to do with App-V.


    Tim Mangan MVP for App-V and Citrix CTP Author of AppV books: "PowerShell with App-V 5 (5.1 Edition)", "The Client Book (4.x)" and "OSD Reference Book" (http://www.tmurgent.com/Books )

    Sunday, September 17, 2017 4:11 PM
    Moderator