none
How to retrieve generic resource names RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All

Is it possible to retrieve the generic names that are entered as resources against a task using ODATA?

We use PS2016 and report using the ODATA connector...this gives us access to most of the data we need for our portfolio reporting however I am struggling to access one piece of data.

When a user enters a 'generic' resource against a task (i.e. JOEBLOGGS) as opposed to an enterprise resource I'm not sure in which table I find this data. If I use the ResourceId it just points me to a resource called 'Generic Resource' which is not enough detail.

We often use generic resources to determine tasks assigned to CUSTOMERS or SUPPLIERS for example. Is this data exposed to the ODATA connector and if so, in which table / column is it held?

Thanks in advance.

Thursday, October 4, 2018 3:01 PM

All replies

• Hi ADT-Miller,

Whether the resource is generic or not is not the issue, it is whether the resource is Enterprise or Local.  Any name entered directly into the resource sheet in MS Project is deemed a local resource and is NOT available in the reporting database via ODATA.  Typically I will create a enterprise generic resources called CUSTOMER, SUPPLIER etc because they are then available for reporting purposes.

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | downloads | P2O

Thursday, October 4, 2018 3:26 PM
  • Thanks for the clarification...can't call that a bug I suppose but definitely a big hole when it comes to reporting. I don't want to create a generic resource for every permitation / situation as there could be dozens. 

I suppose the alternative is an Enterprise custom field against the task that the user can enter into.

Monday, October 8, 2018 8:16 AM
  • ADT-Miller --

To echo what my cousin Ben just said, the lack of reporting capabilities for local resources is why your PMs should always use enterprise resources in their projects.  I would recommend that you quiz your PMs about their needs for additional resources, such as contractors and vendors, and then add those resources as pure resources to your Enterprise Resource Pool.  I currently have a client that has almost 200 contractor and vendor companies in their Project Online system.  To them, it was worth the work creating all of those extra resources because it means those resources are now fully reportable in Project Online.  Just a thought.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Monday, October 8, 2018 2:37 PM