Message received by Exchange cannot be delivered to a mailbox on same server because it is too large RRS feed

• Question

• An external user sent a message to an internal user on my Exchange 2016 server.  The mail filter that sent it to the server stated the message was 17MB and was successfully delivered to Exchange.  All connectors on Exchange are 36MB.  The user's mailbox has 600MB available.  Here is the Exchange Delivery Report:

Delivery Report for  John Doe ‎(jdoe@lawfirm.com)‎

Pending

2/26/2019 2:22 PM server02.lawfirm.local

Message was received by server02.lawfirm.local from SERVER02.lawfirm.local.

Failed

Your message can't be sent because it's too large.

[{LED=550 5.2.12 RESOLVER.RST.SendSizeLimit.Org; message too large for this organization};{MSG=};{FQDN=};{IP=};{LRT=}]

Thursday, February 28, 2019 8:53 PM

Answers

• An external user sent a message to an internal user on my Exchange 2016 server.  The mail filter that sent it to the server stated the message was 17MB and was successfully delivered to Exchange.  All connectors on Exchange are 36MB.  The user's mailbox has 600MB available.  Here is the Exchange Delivery Report:

Pending

Failed

[{LED=550 5.2.12 RESOLVER.RST.SendSizeLimit.Org; message too large for this organization};{MSG=};{FQDN=};{IP=};{LRT=}]

"All connectors on Exchange are 36MB."

What are the org settings?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/mail-flow/message-size-limits?view=exchserver-2019

Get-TransportConfig | Format-List MaxReceiveSize,MaxSendSize,MaxRecipientEnvelopeLimit

• Marked as answer by The Victim Thursday, February 28, 2019 10:00 PM
    Thursday, February 28, 2019 8:57 PM

All replies

Pending

Failed

"All connectors on Exchange are 36MB."

What are the org settings?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/mail-flow/message-size-limits?view=exchserver-2019

Get-TransportConfig | Format-List MaxReceiveSize,MaxSendSize,MaxRecipientEnvelopeLimit

• Marked as answer by The Victim Thursday, February 28, 2019 10:00 PM
    Thursday, February 28, 2019 8:57 PM
  • You nailed it!  Thank you Andy!

I am marking your answer as correct but I am hoping you will stick around to help me understand Microsoft's logic in this approach:

They set all of the send/receive connectors to 36MB and make them highly visible in EAC.
    They set the Organizational limits, which override the connector limits, to 10MB and made them harder to find.

Why wouldn't they set the Org limits to 36MB or put a link to them next to the send/receive connectors so it would be intuitive?  Do you see some logic in this approach or do you think it is poor design?

Lastly, why do they allow any limit on the connectors but only allow the choices of 10MB, 25MB, 100MB, and unlimited for the Org limits?

Thank you in advance!

Thursday, February 28, 2019 9:41 PM
  • You nailed it!  Thank you Andy!

I am marking your answer as correct but I am hoping you will stick around to help me understand Microsoft's logic in this approach:

They set all of the send/receive connectors to 36MB and make them highly visible in EAC.
    They set the Organizational limits, which override the connector limits, to 10MB and made them harder to find.

Why wouldn't they set the Org limits to 36MB or put a link to them next to the send/receive connectors so it would be intuitive?  Do you see some logic in this approach or do you think it is poor design?

Lastly, why do they allow any limit on the connectors but only allow the choices of 10MB, 25MB, 100MB, and unlimited for the Org limits?

Thank you in advance!

The message limits have always been the bane of Exchange's existence. lol.

Essentially, the org limits cover all messages - but they come mostly into play for messages sent to and from the internet. (i.e. messages sent anonymously). You can pretty much set it to any value with Exchange Powershell, so if you want, use that to set to whatever you want. Keep in mind that it should be higher or equal to the connector limits and set it to 30-40% higher than you really want to allow for padding for encoding. ( the article I linked uses 33%)

So for example, if you want to allow 30MB messages, set the org and connector limits to 40MB to cover yourself.

Thursday, February 28, 2019 9:51 PM
  • I really appreciate your insight.  I set the org to 100MB and will let the connectors control flow.

Thanks again!

Friday, March 1, 2019 12:55 AM