How to safely remove a PF database. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys:

I'm in the process to decommission my exchange 2007 servers cluster mailbox (SCR), since I'm almost done with the exchange 2010 migration.

My question is the follow.

If I want to remove one of the PF database from exchange 2007, how can I do this with the less risk?

I went trough Technet library and found the following article:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd876883(EXCHG.140).aspx

Basically, I need to run MoveAllreplicas.ps1 and after replication process is completed , I could manually delete the .edb file.

My doubt here is , what happen if I already have another Database copies living on Exchange 2010?

If I run this command:

MoveAllReplicas.ps1 -Server Exch07 -NewServer Exch2010

What happen with all the content? Wiil it be moved as well to the exch2010 dB?  because all my PF database are synced and updated since months ago. (Or Does that info will be duplicated or affected the current one?)

But I got confused with this step. 

My scenario is made of 2 MBX clustered in exchange 2007 (2 PF databases)  with SCC and 3 DAGs exchange 2010 (2 PF databases)

1. Here comes the question:

Is there another command to do this.. I know that there's another script:

RemoveReplicaFromPFRecursive.ps1

What would be the command for it? would be something like this? not sure if that would work.

.\RemoveReplicaToPFRecursive.ps1 –Server EXC210 –TopPublicFolder \ –ServerToRemove “EXC07”

Or should I run moveallreplicas?

JASM

Monday, November 2, 2015 9:25 PM

Answers

• I prefer to enter the following on the old public folder server:

.\AddReplicaToPFRecursive.ps1 -ServerToAdd NEW_SERVER -TopPublicFolder \
    .\AddReplicaToPFRecursive.ps1 -ServerToAdd NEW_SERVER -TopPublicFolder \NON_IPM_SUBTREE

Use Get-PublicFolderStatistics on both servers to verify successful replication of content.

Then enter:

.\RemoveReplicaFromPFRecursive.ps1 -ServerToRemove OLD_SERVER -TopPublicFolder \
    .\RemoveReplicaFromPFRecursive.ps1 -ServerToRemove OLD_SERVER -TopPublicFolder \NON_IPM_SUBTREE

If some folders remain on the old server after a while, post back for additional help.

This stuff takes time.  Don't be impatient.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Monday, November 2, 2015 9:55 PM

All replies

• Is it valid if I run something like:

.\RemoveReplicaToPFRecursive.ps1 –TopPublicFolder "\" –ServerToRemove “EXC07”

JASM

Monday, November 2, 2015 9:53 PM
  • I prefer to enter the following on the old public folder server:

.\AddReplicaToPFRecursive.ps1 -ServerToAdd NEW_SERVER -TopPublicFolder \
    .\AddReplicaToPFRecursive.ps1 -ServerToAdd NEW_SERVER -TopPublicFolder \NON_IPM_SUBTREE

Use Get-PublicFolderStatistics on both servers to verify successful replication of content.

Then enter:

.\RemoveReplicaFromPFRecursive.ps1 -ServerToRemove OLD_SERVER -TopPublicFolder \
    .\RemoveReplicaFromPFRecursive.ps1 -ServerToRemove OLD_SERVER -TopPublicFolder \NON_IPM_SUBTREE

If some folders remain on the old server after a while, post back for additional help.

This stuff takes time.  Don't be impatient.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Monday, November 2, 2015 9:55 PM
  • Ed :

Thank you for your help.

I've done first 2 commands months ago.

My confunsion is with the last 2 commands you suggest me.

I was thinking to run this command to unlist this EXCH07 server from all the replication process.

.\RemoveReplicaToPFRecursive.ps1 –TopPublicFolder "\" –ServerToRemove “EXC07”

However,  i just checked your suggestion

.\RemoveReplicaFromPFRecursive.ps1 -ServerToAddNEW_SERVER -TopPublicFolder \

ServertoAdd?? (Looks confusing, even you are using the removereplica script).

NEW_SERVER??  (If I want to remove the exchange 2007 should be EXC07)?

.\RemoveReplicaFromPFRecursive.ps1 -EXCH NEW_SERVER -TopPublicFolder \

Sorry for all my confusion...

JASM

Tuesday, November 3, 2015 5:53 PM
  • That's just a mistake.  You're right and I've corrected it above.

Tuesday, November 3, 2015 7:21 PM
  • OK,

One last question once we remove the exch2007 for the replication list.

I think I still have all the content on that database (exh2007) ,so  if I try to uninstall the server it will say that it can be deleted because of it is not empty.

What would be the best way to clean up this information?

I've checked and seems that from exchange 2010 box,  i must run the next command:

MoveAllReplicas.ps1 –Server Exch2007 –NewServer Exch2010

My only doubt at this point is what does this script?

I mean if I already have the PF information replicated across other 3 DB.

If I run it, do another exchange 2010 DB which obviously has already this info, what would happen?

nothing will be copied but will be removed from Exchange 2007?

or

that information would be copied or overwritten on exchange 2010?

Thanks again!! I swear this is my last doubt :)

JASM

Tuesday, November 10, 2015 6:53 PM
  • Please post the results of this command here.

Get-PublicFolderStatistics -Server Exch2007

Tuesday, November 10, 2015 7:00 PM
  • It was completed successfully thanks for your help.

At end of the day I only needed to run these 2 commands:

Thank you !!

JASM

Tuesday, December 8, 2015 7:26 PM
  • You're welcome.  Happy to have helped.

Wednesday, December 9, 2015 4:07 AM