Office 2010 virtual proxies not working RRS feed

• Question

• I feel like I'm running into so many issues with App-V but here's my latest frustration:

I have one computer (and only one) that doesn't seem to see the virtual proxies for Office 2010. On this computer, I can launch every virtual app in Office just fine (Outlook, PowerPoint, etc.), but when it comes to right-clicking a file and selecting send to->mail to, or trying to get the virtual search host to launch when Outlook launches, it just doesn't happen. I get the "launch failed" 00000A09 error. If I use the Appv User Support tool and manually click the Proxy MailTo, it launches just fine, and will work for a few minutes.

I don't have this problem on any other computer that I've tried so far. It was all sequenced with 4.6 sequencer and is running on a Windows 7 machine with 4.6 client.

To register the virtual proxies, I use a .vbs script that executes the following cmd:

cmd = "MSIEXEC /i " & Chr(34) & "\\storage\install$\App-V 4.6\offvirt\offvirt.msi" & Chr(34) & " ADDDEFAULT=Click2runOneNoteProxy,Click2runOutlookProxies,Click2runWDSProxy,Click2runOWSSuppProxies PACKAGEGUID={7ACD0E89-19AE-49C9-BD4F-75B20769311E} PACKAGEVERSION=14.0.4536.1000 OUTLOOKNAME=" & cHR(34) & "Microsoft Outlook 2010 (Beta)" & Chr(34) & " ONENOTENAME=" & Chr(34) & "Microsoft OneNote 2010 (Beta)" & Chr(34) & " MAPISERVER=" & Chr(34) & "Proxy MailTo" & Chr(34) & " VIRTUALSEARCHHOST=" & Chr(34) & "Proxy Virtual Search Host" & Chr(34) & " MLCFG32CPL=" & Chr(34) & "Proxy Virtual Mail Cpl" & Chr(34) & " OWSSUPPServer=" & Chr(34) & "Proxy Virtual OWSSupp Manager" & Chr(34)

All the OSD names are case sensitive correctly. Again, it only seems to be not working on this one computer so far. Any ideas?

Michael
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010 9:28 PM

Answers

• Michael,

I don't know the answer at this point but will ask a couple of questions.

1. If you try to register the proxies from the command prompt directly and don't use the vbs does it work?
    2. What version of Office 2010 is it, I assume since it has worked on others it is 32Bit version of Office, but want to ask as the 64 bit version of Office doesn't support proxies beyond licensing.

I have had some issues around this process and wanted to see what happened if it went back to basics.

It sound like it has worked in the past, and I am assuming with the vbs as well.

Thanks

mattmcdermott
    • Proposed as answer by znack Wednesday, March 10, 2010 3:58 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Thursday, August 8, 2013 7:19 AM
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 1:42 AM

All replies

• Michael,

I don't know the answer at this point but will ask a couple of questions.

1. If you try to register the proxies from the command prompt directly and don't use the vbs does it work?
    2. What version of Office 2010 is it, I assume since it has worked on others it is 32Bit version of Office, but want to ask as the 64 bit version of Office doesn't support proxies beyond licensing.

I have had some issues around this process and wanted to see what happened if it went back to basics.

It sound like it has worked in the past, and I am assuming with the vbs as well.

Thanks

mattmcdermott
    • Proposed as answer by znack Wednesday, March 10, 2010 3:58 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Thursday, August 8, 2013 7:19 AM
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 1:42 AM
  • Hi Matt,

Thanks for the reply and the suggestions. I have used the VBS scripts with success on other machines, bit I did try manually registering the proxies through the command prompt on this one problem computer and it didn't work either.

This is the 32-bit version of Office 2010 and I'm currently streaming the same OSDs from the same test appv server to my 32-bit Windows 7 machine and it works great. We're all on the same subnet on the same vlan with the same permissions to the content share, etc.

I played around with different things yesterday evening such as granting him full security and share permissions to the content share just to be sure it wasn't a weird permissions issue. That didn't seem to help either. Again, if I use the free Appv User Support Tool from LoginConsultants and manually launch the Virtual Search Host proxy or MailTo Proxy directly, it shows they succcessfully launch. However, if I try to open Outlook on the problem computer, it fails to launch the Virtual Search Host proxy, so it seems like an error with the proxy registering correctly to the local machine. I'm just not exactly sure how/why.

Thanks,
    Michael
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 3:45 PM