Migrating PAS database... For potential disaster recovery backup environment RRS feed

• Question

• I followed an earlier thread requesting information about moving a PAS database.  My situation was similar and I thought I followed the instructions correctly but I am now receiving the following problems.  Before revealing the problems, I will explain the exact situation as I believe other people will be in this same predicament. 

We are testing the requirements to bring up ProClarity Analytics, the cubes and underlying relational databases in an alternate disaster recovery environment should the need arise.  In essence, we are duplicating the production environment onto a disaster recovery environment.  The OLD and NEW environments are as follows.

OLD Server 1:  SQL Server 2005 (relational database), Analysis Services (cube database), Analytics Server,

OLD Server 2: Terminal Server (ProClarity Web Professional v6.2)

NEW Server 1: SQL Server 2005 (relational database), Analysis Services (cube database), Analytics Server

NEW Server 2: Terminal Server (ProClarity Web Professional v6.2)

STEPS taken:

NEW servers were booted and connected to the domain.

NEW servers were loaded with the software, SQL Server, Analysis Services, Analytics Server, etc.

Relational databases on OLD servers were backed up.  This included the data warehouse as well as the PAS database.

Cube database on OLD server was backed up. 

Analytics software was loaded onto the NEW server.  A new PAS database was created pointing to the NEW server.

Relational databases were restored onto the NEW server.  The PAS database was replaced.

Cube database was restored onto the NEW server.

Using Analytics Server Administration tool, the new server was registered.  There was a message indicating that the connection to the PAS database was failing for the SQL Server login ID used to connect.  The SQL Server login ID was removed from the NEW server and PAS database and recreated.  After accomplishing that, the NEW analytics server could be registered.  The properties in the NEW analytics server show the NEW URL, NEW SQL Server, the correct PAS database, etc.  The Users folder in the administration tool contains all of the users that existed on the OLD server.

Using the Analytics Server Administration tool, the 'Update Connection Information' option was selected.  The Server name was modified to reflect the NEW server.  This apparently updated all of the pages in the libraries/books and came back with a count of the number of pages modified.

PROBLEM

1) On the NEW terminal server, I connect to the new home page and see the libraries, books, pages, etc. I can readily navigate on the home page and it shows that I am in the 'Professional' mode in the drop down box when I come into the home page.  When I click on one of the pages I receive the following warning message:

"The selected page could not be opened because the cube could not be found. Please choose a different page"

My only option is to choose the OK button and the same message appears a second time.  I click on the OK button again and my professional window is displayed without any data.  The briefing book panel is visible with the pages and the Setup Panel and results panel are empty.

2) In the Professional window, I choose 'File', 'Open Cube'.  I immediately get the following warning:

"The provider {xxxxxxxxxxxxx} could not be found. Provider is being set to {yyyyyyyy}.

I choose the only option (OK) to continue.

The Connect dialog box is displayed with the OLD server name.  I change it to the NEW server name.  I then click on the OK button and receive the message:

'Cannot connect to the server 'NEWServer'.  The server is either not started or too busy

I know that this is not the case.  The 'NEWServer' is in fact up, running and nobody else is connected to it.  In SQL Server Management Studio, I can browse the cubes in the database and I can see results.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks In Advance,

Dave

Thursday, October 16, 2008 4:14 PM

Answers

• Sort of sounds like the ProClarity Pro install isn't quite right.  Have you tried just uninstalling and re-installing Pro on that machine?  What if you open it without opening a book and just try to open the cube, does that work?  If not, what do you see?
    Wednesday, October 22, 2008 1:43 AM

All replies

• Sort of sounds like the ProClarity Pro install isn't quite right.  Have you tried just uninstalling and re-installing Pro on that machine?  What if you open it without opening a book and just try to open the cube, does that work?  If not, what do you see?
    Wednesday, October 22, 2008 1:43 AM
  • Hi Dave,

Have you verified which provider is actually configured on the Professional client options?  Check which one is selected in the client by selecting File > Options > OLAP Provider.  If it is set to 8.0, are you able to change it to 9.0?

Thanks,

Bob

Tuesday, October 28, 2008 2:51 PM