Move List Items from one list to another every 3 months automatically & Export the items to file like excel or any other file type RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am looking for suggestions on any OOTB way or some sort of tool to Move List Items from one list to another every 3 months automatically & Export the items to file like excel or any other file type.

My thoughts are that Workflows cannot be used as those cannot be scheduled to move list items periodically. They are triggered based on events.

Any suggestions are welcome...

Thanks, Rakesh
    Please Mark As Answer if my post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been helpful for you. ***Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 1:04 AM

Answers

• Information Management Policies will allow you to move files based on a time criteria, they can then kick off workflows.

Or you could roll your own solution with PowerShell. You'll need some form of customisation to dump the data out to excel. It might be possible to do so in Workflows (but I doubt it) but it's customisation of some form.

• Marked as answer by Rebecca Tu Wednesday, November 26, 2014 7:57 AM
    Wednesday, November 19, 2014 6:10 PM

All replies

• As your requirement is based on specified time period, three months, as my understanding, you can use customer timer job to copy the items, and do the export action.

Qiao Wei
    My blog:http://blog.goobol.com

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 1:56 AM
  • Thanks but Is there any out of the box way of achieving it? I know it is very much possible using code but want to pursue OOTB option if available.

Also if there are any tools out there which can do this?

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks, Rakesh
    Please Mark As Answer if my post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been helpful for you. ***Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 2:59 AM
  • Hello Rakesh,

Designer WF can still be used to move items by using pause until date action but WF will not be able to export list to excel. I would prefer powershell script and execute script by windows task scheduler on specify time.

Let us know if you need any help in above approach 

Hemendra:Yesterday is just a memory,Tomorrow we may never see<br/> Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 5:38 AM
  • Thanks Hemendra.

Customer has no intention to use any custom solution that is I am trying to explore if there is any OOTB way(which I had already doubt about even before posting and now confirmed especially because requirement of exporting the data in excel).

But do we have any third party tool to achieve this requirement?

Thanks, Rakesh

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 4:14 PM
  • Information Management Policies will allow you to move files based on a time criteria, they can then kick off workflows.

Or you could roll your own solution with PowerShell. You'll need some form of customisation to dump the data out to excel. It might be possible to do so in Workflows (but I doubt it) but it's customisation of some form.

• Marked as answer by Rebecca Tu Wednesday, November 26, 2014 7:57 AM
    Wednesday, November 19, 2014 6:10 PM
  • >But do we have any third party tool to achieve this requirement?

Frankly speaking i have never used any third party for migration or archiving. But you may check with "Metalogix" support team if they have any such tool. 

Hemendra:Yesterday is just a memory,Tomorrow we may never see<br/> Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help

Thursday, November 20, 2014 8:59 AM