none
WDS/MDT - Drivers Inject RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have been using WDS/MDT/WSUS for a while now, and its in a good place apart from getting drivers to inject, the main problem being on-board LAN Drivers. In some of our builds we have add-in Intel NICs and these work perfect once you hit windows, but if you try and use the on-board drivers we always get a connection error:

I have downloaded the drives required and tests it by installing the drivers separately, I used the same download to import into the out-of-box drivers. I updated the WIM image by regenerating it completely, and I also delete the old boot image from WDS and replaced it with the new one.

I have even done comparisons on the FileRepository - with the drivers installed and without, and using the changes created from that to import the drivers/.inf files still without any luck.

Information:

Windows Server 2012
    MDT - 6.2.5019.0
    WDS - 6.2.9200.16384
    WSUS - 6.2.9200.16.384

This is the last thing I really want to get working on this system/setup, any help would be much appreciated. To me it seems like the drivers are not importing correctly before windows is booted, which is then causing the TS to fail as it has no connection, has anyone else experienced this problem and actually fixed it?

If you require anymore information, just ask and I will get them across asap - some items take longer than others due to removing Names as everything is under NDA. Please also when asking for more information state the location of files, will make life a lot easier and quicker for responses.

Thanks

Wednesday, October 22, 2014 7:34 AM

Answers

All replies

• Are you sure the drivers for the add-on Intel NIC correspond to Windows PE 5.0, or at least Windows 8.1?

Furthermore, do you have 64-bit drivers matched to 64-bit OS's?  And 32-bit to 32-bit?

Wednesday, October 22, 2014 3:12 PM
  • Are you sure the drivers for the add-on Intel NIC correspond to Windows PE 5.0, or at least Windows 8.1?

Furthermore, do you have 64-bit drivers matched to 64-bit OS's?  And 32-bit to 32-bit?

Hi Atreus21 - this is about on-board not the add-in. The add-in NICs work 100% fine as stated above. We are installing windows 7 pro 64bit. The drivers that are downloaded for the on-board LAN are for Windows 7 64bit.
    Wednesday, October 22, 2014 5:16 PM
  • Hi,

this is the driver you need:

Device Id Chip Description Vendor Id Vendor Name
    0x153B Intel Gigabit Ethernet Controller I217-V 0x8086 Intel Corporation

This can be found by typing in the VEN_<ID> (which stands for Vendor) and DEV_<ID> (which stands for Device) at pcidatabase.com

http://www.pcidatabase.com/search.php?device_search_str=153b&device_search.x=0&device_search.y=0&device_search=search+devices

Cheers!

If this post is helpful please click "Mark for answer", thanks! Kind regards

Wednesday, October 22, 2014 5:29 PM
  • How did you verify that the correct drivers have been imported?

I can see that you documented what versions of the OS and MDT you are using, however what is *REALLY* interesting is what version of the ADK and what *CLIENT* OS you are using.

I will guess that you are using the latest Windows 8.1 ADK, and the screen shot above is WIndows 7.

My guess is that the ADK already *HAS* the correct drivers installed, so your updating of the deployment shares was not necessary.

Then the question is: did you import the correct drivers into the MDT console.

Find the driver you imported and manually copy it over to the machine in question, and import the driver from within the Device Manager Console devmgmt.msc --> find device --> Right click: Update DRiver software --> select driver package and install...

If the driver you think is correct installs, then there may be some driver group problems, grab your bdd.log file and share on OneDrive.

If the driver you think is correct does *NOT* install, then you don't have the correct driver package.

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Friday, October 24, 2014 5:05 AM
  • @Rens Hollanders - I have the motherboard disc with the correct drivers on, I have also downloaded the same drivers you have linked and have the same issue.

@Keith - I verified that they are the correct drivers by installing them once it got to that point in the Task Sequence.

I currently am not in work until Monday 27th, but from memory we are using Windows ADK8.1 and yes we are installing Windows 7 Professional x64.

The PXE Boot environment loads fine, I can start my task sequence and let it install windows 7, its just the fact of when we get into Windows 7 that we encounter this issue.

I will verify the driver again for you, and run the task sequence again. So I can provide updated logs. I will not be able to provide them via OneDrive but I will arrange getting them onto a DropBox instead. I will also include screen shots of the task sequence to show how that is setup.

Friday, October 24, 2014 7:57 AM
  • FYI:

I have just created my super "How to debug missing drivers in MDT" post:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/3e083173-f5db-48e9-b744-f71b9ca6541c/how-to-debug-missing-drivers-in-mdt?forum=mdt

This post contains a complete walkthrough for resolving missing drivers in MDT. :^)

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Monday, October 27, 2014 1:33 AM
  • @Keith - Thanks for the update and reply. I will be going over your documentation asap to find out where this is failing.
    Tuesday, November 4, 2014 10:18 AM
  • Not sure if you fixed this yet, but I had a similar problem deploying Win 7 x64 to all Dell Optiplex 7010s, and was seeing the same message randomly. I eventually fixed the issue by rolling back to an older version of the NIC driver. I used the same version Dell was using on their builds, which was older than the one they make available for download. I had found numerous people reporting network drop issues with the Intel card that was in our systems.

After importing the driver CABs from Dell I removed these 2 drivers:

• Intel Net E1c62x64.INF 12.6.45.0 (1)driver
    • Intel Net E1c6232.INF 12.6.45.0 (1) driver

I added version 11.16.96.7114 to my Out-Of-Box drivers and haven't seen the problem since.

Friday, December 12, 2014 3:40 PM