none
Selectively Disable Security and Maintenance Notifications

Question

• Is there a way to enable/disable any of these notifications via Group Policy?  I don't believe a way is built in, but possibly it can be done with a registry policy setting.

Thursday, April 14, 2016 5:03 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your post.

If you want to completely disable notifications and Action Center in Windows 10, you can do this using Group Policy Editor:

1. Press WIN+R keys together to launch RUN dialog box. Now type gpedit.msc in RUN and press Enter. It'll open Group Policy Editor.

2. Now go to User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Start Menu and Taskbar

3. In right-side pane, double-click on "Remove Notifications and Action Center" option and set it to Enabled.

Apply changes and restart, log off to take effect. It'll completely disable notifications and Action Center in Windows 10.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 15, 2016 3:47 AM
  • Hi Alvin.  Yes, I'm aware of how to completely disable it.  As the original question states i'm trying to find a way to "selectively" disable different notifications/messages.  I did also state that i'm assuming there isn't a built in group policy setting to do this currently (that would likely be a feature request), but I'm assuming since there is a GUI on the system to selectively enable/disable these options that some repeatable change must occur on the system.  I'm currently trying to use process monitor to narrow down what it is, but haven't figured it out yet.  If anyone has figured it out please let me know.

Thanks

Friday, April 15, 2016 1:55 PM
  • > currently trying to use process monitor to narrow down what it is, but

I suggest using regshot (sourceforge) for that purpose. Much easier to
    handle than procmon :-)

Saturday, April 16, 2016 12:48 PM
  • Hi,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 19, 2016 7:51 AM
  • Hi,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Hi Alvin.  So far no one has posted a method to selectively disable the notifications.  I had already tried reshot as Martin suggested, but have not yet narrowed things down.  This issue is still open.
    Tuesday, April 19, 2016 12:50 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I did some research and test, but the result is the same with you, I did not observe the corresponding change when selectively disable the notifications. Sorry for the limited help on this case.

It is appreciated that the other members in our forum can share their experience with us about this scenario.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Wednesday, April 20, 2016 6:08 AM
  • So Weak!  I'm shocked you actually work at Microsoft.  

Can you not reach out to the Program Manager at the Business Group to render a proper response?

The response provided is not acceptable.   

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 10:49 PM
  • how is this still an issue??

whats the point of all the management tools like gpo if we cant control all this?

the firewall notifications are ridiculously annoying and in 2018 i wouldnt expect to have to dig / or procmon / regshot my way to a solution.

Wednesday, March 07, 2018 3:02 AM